Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a spare set of heads that came off my old motor that was in my truck,i am going ready to head studs on the motor that is in my truck now and was wondering if i could use those heads off of my old motor on my new motor,im going to have the heads checked and all that good stuff.i am pretty sure the motors are the same year motors,i just dont want to go throw all the time ,money and work and it mess up cause they are from different motors,the reason is i dont need a lot of down time but if there is a chance that they could not fit up or not a good idea then i can make the time for the down time to do it right.any help thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
They will work.

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
What year heads ??

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the old motor is a 04 and the motor that is in the truck is a 04 to i think it has the sensor in the passenger side value cover

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
thats fine, Im more worried about the difference between 18mm and 20mm dowels for the heads, but thats on 06 heads

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the 06 is when they changed to the 20mm correct?what should have done to the heads at the machine shop?will they know the lowest specks that the heads can be shaved,whats the lowest we can go if they have to

·
harley master
496 Posts
If they are early 04 heads, and the current motor is a late 04 then you will have oil rail issues. As far as how far you can deck them is about 0.010" max.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
whats going to be different about the oil rails,is there going to be any way to tell if they are different

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok,anything i should get done to the head while its getting checked?

·
bring the chain
1,345 Posts
ok,anything i should get done to the head while its getting checked?
Have them pressure checked,deck to zero warp,remove the valves inspect the seats dor cracking. While your already there,do a valve job. Easy way to maintain piston to valve clearance from shaving the heads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts