Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Overall my truck is very clean, gets washed once a week and some wax every few months. Lately the swirl marks are really starting to bother me, so I'm thinking about taking a day to wash, clay bar, polish/compound, and wax. The problem is this is my only ride and gets driven in the rain, the occasional dirt road, etc. So is it really worth all the work or are the swirls just going to come right back?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So from that point all I have to do is keep waxing and I'm good?

·
40 lug nuts
3,433 Posts
The swirl marks are a result of improper washing. Dirt gets in your wash mitt/sponge and leaves fine scratches in the clear coat. If you don't do anything about them, they'll continue to get worse and when you DO decide you can't take it any more, you'll have to use much more aggressive products/techniques.

Once you get them out, use two buckets when washing: first bucket is water only and the second bucket has soap+water. Use the first bucket to rinse your wash mitt before dunking it in the second bucket. Try to wash in one direction as much as possible. Meaning wash the hood and roof from front to back and the side panels/doors from top to bottom. The fine scratches are inevitable, but they're less noticeable than when you wash in a circular motion.

My 05 is my DD and has 166k miles on it. Always nice when someone says "that's an 05?!"

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always spray off the wash mitt thoroughly before dunking it back in the bucket. I think the swirls are either from the previous owner, or back in the days when I used to wash it with a brush.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't ask lol it was like 2 years ago when I had no clue what I was doing. What's even worse is my dad borrowed it last week and tried to be nice by washing it before he gave it back and used the brush again. I need to throw that thing away when he's not looking :doh:

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha only problem then is he'll use my wash mitt for his cars :)

I just picked up a new buffing pad, microfiber cloth and some Meguiar's Ultimate Polish.
Would it be ok to put the polish on even though I waxed the truck like 3 weeks ago? Or do I have to strip the wax somehow?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes its worth it but to do it right its going to take HOURS.

Great advice from Snake, 2 bucket wash plus invest in some grit guards

Your going to need to clay first. If your paint is contaminated then it will get stuck in the pad and you will not get good correction. Claying will remove most of the wax and then polishing will remove anything left over. Megs UP has oils in it so your going to need to do an IPA wipe down to check your results. Check out autogeekonline.net

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think my paint is contaminated, nothing gets stuck in the pad when I wax it. I know what IPA is but what do you mean to check my results? I thought it was more of a prep thing. Why does this have to be so complicated just to clean some damn paint haha

·
Registered
114 Posts
Unless you have clayed your truck recently then its probably contaminated with industrial fallout, rail dust, brake dust, tree sap. If these are not removed and polishing is done then the metal particles will be in the foam pad or MF disc and mar the paint. So while your trying to correct the paint surface your inducing more scratches.

The IPA wipe down is used as a prep for your LSP BUT polishing the truck leaves polishing oils and these oils can fill any scratches that might not have been removed. So you think you have done a great job but then few weeks later you see them again.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Both of these are DD if washed correctly then paint swirls are kept to a minimum. I did my truck last May with just SF4500 and PC7424xp with LC gray pads. I will have to do it again in spring but SF4500 has 0.5 cut so I don't have to worry about taking too much clear. The truck has Chemical Guys Blacklight/ Chemical Guys black wax/ V7. The mustang has blacklight and 845

Like I said the results are well worth it plus to have people complement how good it looks is also rewarding for the hours you have put into it.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts