Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The truck is an early model 04 with the 03 engine. It belongs to my fiance's boss. He just bought it from his buddy and "got a real good deal".....and now I think he needs a tranny, so not a very good deal. lol It had the P0730 and P2703 codes. Did my reading and a lot of the time it's the clutch pack that's gone. I know in some cases it's the solenoid, and in a very few cases just a fluid change has helped.

So let me back up a little. He came to me asking for help so he wouldn't have to pay hundreds just to get told his tranny was bad. He said he was driving along and it didn't want to shift at about 30MPH when it usually would, and sometimes when it did it would engage hard. I took it for a test drive and noticed it was a little soft on the shifts, but nothing like he had described. I told him I would change the fluid because it seemed a bit dark and smelled bad (flushed the lines with air and figured I would just do a multiple change to get as much of the old out as possible), then see what happens. I pulled the drain plug and pretty much knew in my gut it was a goner....but I want someone else to confirm if possible. Anyway, it was very dark and filled with metal. Like iridescent there was so much in it. All of it non-ferrous. When I pulled the pan the magnet was absolutely covered in ferrous metal. No huge chunks in the pan, but some small bits like the size of a grain of sand.

I cleaned everything out, pulled both filters, blew out the lines, replaced filters, blah blah. Reset DTC, reset the TCM tables so it would have to relearn the shifts, and took it for a test drive. 1-2 ok. 2-3 ok. At about 30 MPH it just stayed at the same RPM and didn't shift. Finally something happened.....the RPMs started climbing and at about 2500 RPMS (and with no acceleration) it suddenly slammed into gear hard. I tried it a couple more times. Sometimes it shifted but slow and with a lot of slipping. Once it shifted absolutely normal. About half the time it did the flare and slam into gear. At this time I decided I would try to see if the Livewire they had attached had a tune loaded or not. Well, I still have no idea because it wouldn't tell me, but I decided to revert it back to stock just in case, just to see what would happen. It lost some power, so that tells me it was tuned , and the tranny shifted about the same. I then decided to try a hard throttle acceleration just to see. Well, it slipped right off the line. Let off the throttle and it settled in fine. Back on the throttle and it slammed into 3rd and wouldn't go into 5th....just revved to 3000RPM and no shifting until I let off the throttle and at about 1800RPMs it shifted a bit reluctantly.

Just looking at things this is a mess of a truck. The PO didn't know how to wire or route cables, etc well. Plus, it looks like he half-assed a few things here and there. Overall, I just don't think he knew what he was doing and that created a bunch of the problems it has, and likely had a hot tune which crapped out the tranny. All of it I can fix, but not looking forward to it....like figuring out his hybrid fuel system....he has both the stock pump and an air dog running at the same time with a dead head-like setup, yet still had the return line attached. ???

Anyway, here are all of the codes I pulled after I changed fluid and de-tuned truck, and a bunch of pics of stuff.
P0730 - incorrect gear ratio
P2703 - Friction element D apply time too long
P0275 - #5 contribution
P0403 - Not worried, it has EGR delete
P0405 - see above
P0603 - KAM
P2285 - ICP too low
P2287 - ICP signal intermittent
U1058 - invalid or missing data from tranny
U1059 - same as above
U1073 - invalid or missing data for coolant
U1027 - invalid or missing data for RPM
U1262 - communication bus fault

This is all after I cleared the codes. Before I did anything it only had:
P0148 - RPMs exceeded expected RPMs
U1262

Batteries were low when I picked it up so I charged them for several hours. I would say yes, I need to examine his harnesses for shorts, opens, etc. That may fix a few things. Would that affect the tranny? Or am I right in thinking it's trashed?

Here are the pics. This first one is the front filter. When I did mine it was still red in color. This is definitely not red. lol And yes, that greyish/black fluid on the bad is transmission fluid!

Textile Sleeve Plastic bag Plastic Plastic wrap

This is a sample of the fluid I drained.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Car

This is about 1/3 of the ferrous metal I scraped off the magnet.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design World

2 pan pics....take a look at how much crud is on that magnet!

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread Bumper

·
Super Moderator
5,417 Posts
Yes, it’s done. there is sever places it could be coming from. I’m sure the gasket screens between the solenoid body halves are loaded with metal further exasperating the problem

·
Administrator
33,162 Posts
done IMO but I have seen worse ,, the fluid turns silver

i also will take this opportunity to say avoid the Ford reman unless he is selling before warranty is up
I suggest finding a local 5r recommended shop ( local Powerstroke facegroup is where i found my shop ( the only type of reason I have a FB account lol)

·
Administrator
33,162 Posts
how do they reverse flush a 5r ? Heated flush opens the internal thermostat and lets you replace most of the fluid by exchanging old for new on am in and out basis
but other than that you can't back feed the cooler lines

likely right now all the friction material for some clutches is suspended in the fluid between the clutches ,,

maybe the real expert Mark K will chime in and tell us how were all wrong ;-)

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll have to look to see if we even have a shop that does these. Probably do, but finding a good one will be the hard part.

·
Super Moderator
5,417 Posts
I'll have to look to see if we even have a shop that does these. Probably do, but finding a good one will be the hard part.
I do them but you aren’t that close to me. Either direct is metal to metal, the friction plates are eroding where the clutch piston contacts them, or you have a hard part failure. Could also be torque converter coming apart…

IMO I would try to find an 05+ core abs build off of that. The gear train in the early models were not nearly as strong as the later models. Lots of updated parts in 05

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,221 Posts
OK, you're all wrong. ;)

First, it is impossible to reverse flush an automatic transmission. Unless you can turn the pump backwards it isn't going to happen. And the pump is bolted and splined to the crankshaft, so you would have to run the engine in reverse to make this happen.

The magnet actually doesn't look too bad. The debris laying in the bottom of the pan doesn't look very good.

The problem is NOT electrical. If it were there would be electrical codes set. The electrical tests are the most reliable tests that the PCM runs.

I think this one has a worn out clutch.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Appreciate everyone's input! He knows about as much about trucks as a typical toddle does about nuclear fusion, so I'm trying to find him a good local rebuilder. If he decides he just wants to buy an upgraded model, who is the go-to place nowadays? He doesn't need something rated for 600HP, but he does tow a lot and will probably wind up having a tiny bit more power via a PHP FICM tune....and he doesn't want to get raped either. lol I'd attempt a rebuild for him, but since it's for his business I want him to have a warranty. lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts