Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an early 99 with 250k miles on it with matt's tunes. I have two problems and I think they are both related to the HPOP. The first problem is when I have the truck set on a higher tune and really open it up, the check engine light will come on and the truck feels like it isn't pulling as hard as it should. I know the 15* hpop is part of the problem, but I also think it is weak. The other problem is not as simple. When I am in stop and go traffic for more than 10 minutes and stop at a light,the check engine light will come on and the truck will idle but not respond to the accelerator pedal. After about 15-25 seconds the check engine light goes off and the truck is back to normal. Could this be related to the hpop, if not what could it be? Any and all help on both issues is appreciated.

·
got fuel?
2,581 Posts
Call jon at swamps diesel!

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
You really need to read the code and see what's going on from there. Where are you located? Maybe someone from PSN is near by with a Scan Tool.

Most likely your pump needs to be replaced. A healthy 17 degree pump (99.5-03) should do the job. But first, see what the codes are.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried to pull the codes with a generic code reader and no codes showed up. Is there a memory in the PCM that stores codes that come up? If so, do you need to have a specific scan tool to pull up that memory? Without a scan tool any guesses as to what it might be.

·
All done now
22,483 Posts
On the first problem an Adrenaline from Dieselsite will fix that issue. Cheaper than a factory replacement.

On the second issue, you need a real scan tool, not a generic one.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
On the first problem an Adrenaline from Dieselsite will fix that issue. Cheaper than a factory replacement.
Andy, are you sure? :poke: I guess I need to update my website...:doh:

OP, where are you located, so we can find someone to assist you? With 14,000 members, someone is bound to be near you.

·
Registered
886 Posts

On the second issue, you need a real scan tool, not a generic one.
:whs:
The adrenaline was the best thing I have done to my early 99.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
If you are getting a check engine light at WOT (P1211) you have a really weak pump. You shouldn't get that code unless you have less than 2100 PSI at WOT.

On your throttle, check the connection on your throttle pedal. It could be the pedal itself needing to be replaced. Has it ever done this before being chipped?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ran the truck with and without the chip in it and it still cut out every once in a while. I will check the connection on the pedal and see if that helps fix the problem. I will try to get a scan tool and check out the check engine light.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
If you are getting a check engine light at WOT (P1211) you have a really weak pump. You shouldn't get that code unless you have less than 2100 PSI at WOT.

On your throttle, check the connection on your throttle pedal. It could be the pedal itself needing to be replaced. Has it ever done this before being chipped?
I guess I made a good purchase then. My E99 was only holding 1950. Now with the Adrenaline in dp's 60 tow it will hold 3000-3100 @wot. Amazing difference in power and throttle response as well as egt's. Haven't checked mpg's yet but I don't care.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Also, sometimes the sheetmetal IPR nut can come off the back of the IPR and cause low pressure problems if the magnetic coil doesn't fall off completely.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts