Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Is it safe to run a programmer with my stock 6.0?

9K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  powdersmoke4700 
#1 ·
This is my first diesel so please forgive me if I sound very ignorant to anything I'm saying/asking. I just got this a few weeks ago and I love it. 100k miles on it and it's mostly stock other than the blue spring upgrade I installed to fix a fuel leak and I just got an EGR delete kit in the mail that I plan install on a warmer weekend. My question is: is it safe to run a programmer or tuner with a mostly stock 6.0? I know about the issues with them and I plan on addressing them before they become big issues, but as of now the engine runs, sounds, and just looks great. I honestly just want to be able to roll a little bit of coal, not too much, but some every now and then and want to do it with out hurting my truck. Anyone have the best info/tips on how to keep my truck healthy with being able to add some upgrades? Thank you!

#9 ·
Not another one......

Sell it and buy a Cummins. Associate with that crowd if you look so highly upon smoking out everything...after all, that's their goal in life.

Don't get all butt hurt here either....you hop on and start asking about "rolling coal", you are setting yourself up to take a bashing.

#10 ·
Yeah here in east central Illinois we have these 20 something wanna be "farmers" driving their daddy's Cummins with the mirrors fully extended, the bill on their IH cap rolled just right, a wad of chaw and rolling coal every chance they get.

Every once in awhile they drive by and ask me "Is that there truck got one of them sick sucky 6 O's man?"

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

#11 ·
honestly just want to be able to roll a little bit of coal
Dude grow your ass up...mature a little....

...when you mash the throttle and haul ass without rolling coal now you have something to be proud of.

#13 ·
If you just bought it you need to have it checked out before you spend money on upgrades. Take it to a reputable shop, have them drive it really hard and monitor the engine coolant temps and engine oil temps. Also have them test the head gaskets with a coolant pressure gauge. If all that checks good change the oil and oil filter, fuel filters, only use oem filters. Now order a straight pipe, SCT tuner.. run a light tune if it's not studded and if it is get some custom tunes and let it eat! ?

#14 ·
call innovative and get there extreme street tune its clean and hauls ass some kid told me my truck couldn't be fast because when i revved it up no smoke came out i said ok do a 20mph dig with that duraslut and well it was nice not having a bunch of smoke behind me because i could actually see how far back he was and im running this tune not studded or deleted but i don't beat on old girl everyday

Reactions: hammer11
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.