Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I will first explain what's been happening. Started yesterday morning. I was on my way to work, and I started feeling engine bog and no power, but only briefly upon acceleration. As the day progressed, so did the power loss and bogging, and it eventually started happening almost every time I accelerated from a low RPM. When it is bogging, it's blowing a cream colored smoke out the tailpipe. And it's extremely dense smoke. Once it gets over it's little fit, the EGR valve snaps back shut and I take off like a horse at the races, and as long as I keep on it a little bit I don't lose power again, until I decelerate.

It finally threw a CEL so I took it to have it tested, and it read out as an EGR problem. I pulled the EGR Valve out and cleaned it (it didnt look bad at all.) Still didn't fix my problem, so I ended up just unplugging the plug at the top of the EGR valve, and that seemed to do the trick. So I've got a few questions (2006 6.0L):

1. Is it okay to unplug the EGR valve? I realize its going to throw a code.
2. I have a delete kit, will that fix my problem?
3. Is it actually the valve that is my problem? Or the Cooler?

·
"Slap hands slap hands"
1,487 Posts
Sounds like installing the EGR delete will take care of the issue from what your saying.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
You need your egr valve plugged in for your fan clutch to operate properly. Sounds like your egr cooler has ruptured to me. Is your tailpipe wet? Does the smoke smell kind of sweet like burning coolant? If/when you pull the egr valve, is the intake wet inside?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The smoke and stuff only happens periodically, so I'm not really sure on the above questions. However, the EGR valve was very dry, like charcoal, and it all just kinda flaked off. No hint of dampness or anything. As for the fan clutch, it's like 5 degrees Fahrenheit where I live, will it effect the fan enough that I should worry about overheating?

Also, I am having a tuner installed tomorrow, so could I somehow reprogram it to still operate the fan without the valve being plugged in?

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Technically, you should be okay with it unplugged for a while, but do keep the fan clutch in mind. A little trick I picked up, once you install your delete kit, right above where the valve used to sit in the intake, there is a spare hole on the back of your intercooler pipe at the cast 90 degree elbow. Bolt the egr valve to that one bolt hole, and keep it plugged in, just sitting there. No codes, fan clutch operates properly, all is well. Your smoke color is white right?

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
My advice if you have to keep driving it is this. Keep a CLOSE eye on your coolant level, check your exhaust after you get home every day, see if the inside of the pipe is wet, and if it starts smoking at idle, smell the smoke and see if it has the sort of sweet, burning coolant smell

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I only have to drive it today and tomorrow for a total of about 100 miles, so I'm hoping that it will last until Sunday when I delete it. Thanks for the help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts