Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have an 08 international 4700 tow truck. the truck is plugged in everynight. in the morning it is harder than hell to start. you gotta crank it turn the key off wait on the wts light again then it might fire up. i replaced the batteries. i parked it at noon today and at 2pm it was just like it has sat all night long hard to start. any ideas? this truck is relied on for alot of calls i need it starting everytime

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Do a compression test.

Moved it here. 911 Roadside emergency is just that. For people broke on the side of the road. Hope you find a fix.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Glow plug relay?
Do a search on GPR, The 466 uses the same set up as a 7.3 on the older models, not sure on a 08. You should not have to plug it in to get it to start unless it is really cold.

·
Registered
926 Posts
We have the same tow truck just an 05 but it will start the absolute dead of cold with out the glow plugs or being plugged in. 150k miles, what are you guys rolling for miles?

·
Registered
30 Posts
with that kind of mileage, it's probably time for a set of injectors. They are worn to the point that the armature gap is to great. The solenoid can't fire them when filled with cold oil. Do a search on here for the same problem with a 7.3. You will find lots of reading. Someone on here can help you out with injectors also..

·
torque junkie
82 Posts
Glow plug relay?
Do a search on GPR, The 466 uses the same set up as a 7.3 on the older models, not sure on a 08. You should not have to plug it in to get it to start unless it is really cold.
They dont, nor ever had glow plugs. The 04 & up have an intake grid heater, and only comes on when the outside temp goes under about 50 degrees. Make sure the oil is fresh, and check for codes. Generally, the 466E has issues with ICP, and HPOP related issues....when they have problems, which isnt very often. Check fuel pressure too.

·
all ur OBS r belong to me
1,591 Posts
Might be time to unass that truck... we trade them in a 250k. After owning a bunch of them it seems like thats the sweet spot before they start needing expensive repairs.

I don't have any '08s but I can tell you I'm scared ####less to poke around under the hood of my '11. Its crazy in there. If the '08 is the same motor I doubt anyone can help here. I mess with a lot of diesels and theres not a whole lot under there that I recognise. Definately no glow plugs or GPR though...

·
OverFuelingForYourPlesure
1,609 Posts
dose it smoke while your cranking? the intake heaters on those engines are more for emissions than they are for starting, they really only need them when it is real cold out to start.
do you have any external oil or fuel leaks?
how dose it run when it dose start?

it sounds like an icp issue to me. I would be willing to bet you have a blown o-ring on the high pressure oil rail which is under the valve cover on about the 03 and up engines . I see that issue pretty often
if it isn't that it could be draining back fuel , or bad injectors as stated above but I usually just see injectors cause hard starts on the 365's and I dont think they would do it after only sitting a couple hours

·
Registered
920 Posts
They dont, nor ever had glow plugs. The 04 & up have an intake grid heater, and only comes on when the outside temp goes under about 50 degrees. Make sure the oil is fresh, and check for codes. Generally, the 466E has issues with ICP, and HPOP related issues....when they have problems, which isnt very often. Check fuel pressure too.
Thanks, Sorry for the bad info.

·
OverFuelingForYourPlesure
1,609 Posts
I'd say you have a leak under the valve cover then

·
Registered
926 Posts
WOW thats alot of mileage for an 08!! i thought the 80k we do a year is alot! id say just screw it and buy all knew injectors. or send them to jim and have them seriously overhauled

·
Registered
926 Posts
Dont forget to have them open up the injectors' tips if you want more power.
id have to say thats a BAD idea, while towing, these internationals are seriously heavy pigs. with a car on the back is that much more weight, and no gauges? spelling devistation and new crate motor. if hes anything like me and my rig its to the floor trying to keep 65-70 up a hill with a car. lord knows what the egts are for that half mile+ up a long 5+% hill too the wood.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts