Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pricing out changing from standard Rotella to Rotella T6 synthetic in my 7.3. I know auto parts stores can be incorrect frequently, but I wanted to check. The gallon jugs say diesel engine oil, The 5 gallon bucket says gasoline engine oil. :shrug: Is this a typo, or are they actually different?

Do they sell Rotella T6 synthetic diesel engine oil in 5 gallon buckets?

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
Are you sure the weights were the same? I don't remember what weight was what labeling, but I came across something similar to what you're saying in another brand... The 'Diesel Engine Oil' were 0w-15, 5w-15 and the 'Gasoline Engine Oil' were 5w-30 and 10w-30 weights. All in the exact same PittPenn 5 gallon bucket, same labels same everything but where the weights were written and the Gas/Diesel marking

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the weights were the same, that's what made it even more confusing. I just changed the oil the other day, so I have time to decide if I'm going to change from Rotella to Rotella T6. I will go look in the store and see for myself what they say.

·
9,453 Posts
I will go look in the store and see for myself what they say.
If it's one of the fast food stores, make sure you have the color of the vehicle handy and whether or not it has a/c... We all know how computer dependent they are ;)

·
Registered
875 Posts
5w40 t 6 is certified for both gas and diesel engines
API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, SM, SL, SH; ACEA E9; Caterpillar
ECF-3, ECF-2; Cummins CES 20081; DDC 93K218; Ford WSS
M2C171-E; JASO DH-2, MA; Mack EO-O Premium Plus; MB Approval
228.31; Volvo VDS-4

The sm sl sh certification shows it to be used in gas applications "SN" id the newest version of oil

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very true Andy, we all know the bed length, cab configuration, and interior color have an effect on the type of oil the vehicle requires. :hehe:

Thanks wise guy, so as long as it has the right certification its good to go right?

·
9,453 Posts
Only half is for the Bronco. One goes in the truck, the rest goes in the wife's Civic. Why, does that make a differece!?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Love it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts