Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who is getting his ZF-6 completely rebuilt and a 500hp south bend clutch put in. He said the total bill including labor is going to be $4,120!!!!!!!! Holy cow! Is that right???? That just seems retardedly high to me.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
The trans would have to be completely trashed. There just isn't that much that usually needs to be replaced. At that price you would have to be changing all the gears and such. Still not sure there would be $4k + worth of parts.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Sounds kinda high

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$950 of that is for the south bend and $425 is R&R of the clutch.

·
< Can I drive?!
1,627 Posts
Dont quote me on this but i thought i had heard/read some where that the zf6 could be rebuild for a grand or so. So if thats true, its way high on the price...

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I sell used ones for 1200-1500 and jasper sells remans for 2000. So not sure why anybody would spend that on rebuilding one.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well then does somebody want to sell a new or rebuilt zf6? I figure if the guy can save a couple thousand he would drive a couple hours to do it!

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
I'd just get a junkr

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
Hell, wish I got 12 to 1500 for the ones we use to get out of Ford. Last one I had here was a 04 6.0 had 3 grand on it, prety much like new. Sure wish we could get stuff from them still, but as they say. " All good things must come to an end " LOL. My boss passed up on a lot of good stuff back when we stil got 7.3 stuff, if he could have seen where we are today we would have bought it all, LOl.

Dan

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
In my book a 7.3 ZF-6 comes in at almost 20 hours of labor time to rebuild it. So at our shop it would cost $1600 in labor alone. That is pulling the trans, rebuilding and replacing. So add your parts to that and thats most likely what they go by so it will depend on their hourly rates and the rest of the parts.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just checked with 7 local junk yards. None of them have a zf-6 transmission, a xlt star shaped aluminum dually rim, or any 7.3l motors. (I figured while I was calling I would ask on those others too. LOL)

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I got all of the above:ford:. Know anybody that can pick up some parts in WV? :D

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Um... Probably not. Lol! It would be nice though.

·
Nose picker
426 Posts
Sounds about right. Majority of the time is cheaper to get a reman installed. I think syncro's are expensive.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I got mine from Midwest Tranny in MN. Dan's on here sometimes. he was quick to respond to ?'s and honest with answers. He offers a built ZF6. it includes the 6.0 input shaft (1"pilot instead of 5/8") and several internal upgrades for $1895.. the SB dual disc cost almost that much with the machining to accept the bigger pilot bearing

Midwest Transmission Center

Barney

1 - 17 of 17 Posts