Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Keyboard Thug
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if this is something I should consider. I was planning to do a SC but things have changed, at least for now. Would a modded H2e be a significant upgrade, and would it be a DD and heavy tow in high altitude friendly mod?

·
Milk Truck
1,490 Posts
I don't use mine in high altitude, but I do drive it daily and I love it. It doesn't spool as quick as a 38r, and it's not as loud. I have never had any surge with it at all.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
i loved the modded h2e and it seemed to have good street manners up in denver. It may not spool quite as well as a 38r but it didnt spool too bad with a 19cm housing

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
I've driven trucks with the 66mm modded H2E with both the 17 and 19cm housings. I've also driven a few with a 38r including my own.

The 38R is perfect and my pick for a 99.5+ until you get into the 230+ cc range w/ the injectors. However, the modded H2E will definitely make more power. The mounting kit is leap years ahead of the factory setup though.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
if you are wanting the best spoolup a 66/71/17 will be the best for towing. A 19cm housing would be better for top end power because of lowered backpressure.

You could also do a 66/76/17 but it would be a bit slower spooling (but better than a 19cm housing on a 71mm turbine) but still very nice for towing.

I'll let you know how a 71/76/17 does shortly...mine is in a state of disrepair being fixed.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I run a 66/71/17 H2 on my truck w Swamps 250cc sticks. It's great for DD and does not smoke at all except in the big tunes. Even then it's not bad if you don't bury your foot off the line. I also tow 24k gross all the time and it is great. The turbo is super quiet until you get into it pretty hard.

Sean

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
well joe seems to be doing well with his h2e vs a gt38r...but he didn't have much luck with his 38r either so kinda a loaded q for him....
but I have heard nothing but good about h2e's except one post about skav blowing a wheel off his :poke:

·
Registered
964 Posts
well joe seems to be doing well with his h2e vs a gt38r...but he didn't have much luck with his 38r either so kinda a loaded q for him....
but I have heard nothing but good about h2e's except one post about skav blowing a wheel off his :poke:

Ouch! I still don't know why that happened. I just checked the back pressure, and the new H2 that I'm using is running at 1:1. The first H2 only lasted 500 miles.:doh:

·
Military Member
88 Posts
I'm in the debate of a H2E or a 38R now to since my TN took a crap so I'm back in the turbo market. I do a lot of towing and will be upgrading my injectors next. Any advice for me? My truck has to do it all be a fun DD, Tow Pig, and the occasional strip or sled event.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
I would hit DI up for a price on a 38R and factor that into your decision. I think you will like the performance of the 38r over your TN the only downside is a bit more noise that I have found. Spoolup is excellent.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Stepping down to the 17cm housing with the 76mm turbine has really made a difference at highway speeds for me..... it pretty much carries 5lbs of boost from 1800+ RPMs at highway speeds now. A little more throttle input snaps it to 10lbs with very little smoke.

·
Crazy Talk
3,537 Posts
sweet. i am thinkin about gettin my 22cm housing machined and try it next year some.

·
Pulling sled for hire
1,905 Posts
I run a 66/71/17 with Stage 2's and love it. Very quiet except at high boost. Spool is a little slower than stock, but very manageable. I'm mostly a daily driver but do tow occasionally, and it works great for both.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Stepping down to the 17cm housing with the 76mm turbine has really made a difference at highway speeds for me..... it pretty much carries 5lbs of boost from 1800+ RPMs at highway speeds now. A little more throttle input snaps it to 10lbs with very little smoke.
I am sick and tired of the noise from the 38r on the long trips. How does the H2E do with stock sticks?

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
I am sick and tired of the noise from the 38r on the long trips. How does the H2E do with stock sticks?
I have been waiting for someone to come out with a mod that addresses this. It is not bothering me but I can see where someone that is sensative to it might be bothered.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
The factory airbox with the 02 filter with the big pleats flows plenty of air for stock injectors.... makes the dang thing much quieter....

·
Non Helpful Member
818 Posts
I must have been around to much farm equipment and shot to many guns . I don't hear the 38r very much just when I'm first taking off.

·
Military Member
88 Posts
Yeah with the trucks i drive for the military I really doubt that 38R would bother me since i only have a thin plate behind my head and on the other side sits a Detroit diesel 8V92TA. In fact if I don't listen to turbo whine i almost think my trucks are broken after all these years of running these big trucks.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I completely understand about its a diesel, blah, blah, blah,.... I drove the thing on another truck with a 4.10 gear ratio, and it was more like a tractor on the farm. With the 4.88 gears running 2700 RPM at 70 for 6hrs....I swear my ears popped at least once.

I have been waiting for someone to come out with a mod that addresses this. It is not bothering me but I can see where someone that is sensative to it might be bothered.
Thankyou!

The factory airbox with the 02 filter with the big pleats flows plenty of air for stock injectors.... makes the dang thing much quieter....
I would definitely try this, but the stock air-box is no longer in working order. Not only that, but I'm on a mission to completely eliminate the whistle now. I would much rather listen to the diesel knock than the whistle. Also, I wouldn't rule out larger injectors in the not too distant future.

I've also run two different trucks, with tuning from two different programmers, and I swear that the EGTs are too high at higher RPMs. The thing spools great and runs nice and cool below 2500 RPM. But get in some hills and have to kick it out of OD and you better be watching the EGT's. Its been a long time, but I don't think that my van turbo ran nearly as warm at higher RPMs. However, the last truck had 4.10 gears and I didn't run over 2300 RPM most of the time. Now with the 4.88 gears I'm in the 2700 RPM range most of the time.

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
lukes avatar is phucking awesome.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts