Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Innovative Fabricator
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title says. What are all you members running for auto tranny mods in this hp range? When I purchased my '01 the guy stated it had a Jasper rebuild put in it about a year ago, I ask him if it was a Monsterbox tranny but he didn't know for sure. I'm wondering if a guy can get away with a good tranny cooler, torque converter, and valve body with the stated hp range? Any thoughts?

John

·
2nd class citizen
797 Posts
i would recommend a john woods transmission. mine has been working flawless.being that there would be no real bullet proof transmission. you would build one or purchase one with the best parts money can buy to help prevent failure.

·
Registered
911 Posts
it all depends on how you drive it. But i would recommend either a JW or BTS. With 500 hp on tap it would be hard for me to take it easy

·
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
13,954 Posts
I had just a converter and shift kit in mine for a loooong time at around the 450ish level. Wasn't 'til I added da juice that I had to get a full built trans. Even then it never slipped, got hot, or anything. I just happened to find pieces of clutch in the pan. That was at over 8000lbs on 37's drivin' it like I stole it too.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
From my experience, Jaspers are junk. The factory trans that was in the truck usually lives longer than the Jasper that replaces it, and this is on trucks with just a chip or a lift/tires and a chip.

IMO, I wouldn't throw the cash out for a good tc and vb on a Jasper, they are just too cheaply built. Don't eveng get me started on their rebuilt engines. :doh:

If you can't afford a BTS or JW trans, look into Racerx transmissions or get the parts from Racerx and have a good rebuilder build your's for you.

Dave

·
Innovative Fabricator
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't answer for Jasper but a good working stock Ford unit will handle 600rwhp with just a transgo shift kit and a good torque converter.
Glad you posted up, I thought you were running this in one of your trucks.

If I were to purchase a complete transmission, it would either come from BTS or Bowler transmissions.

John

·
Fat Kids Rule!
2,455 Posts
Jaspers are junk
just ts chips and trailer towing will blow them out!
Get a good converter, and a transgo tugger kit and add some more clutches and should do fine!

·
Innovative Fabricator
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with you guys on Jasper's products believe me. I live 30 miles from the place and have heard all kinds of stories about there quality. I'm kind of skeptical to see how long it will hold up with a converter and valve body.

John

·
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
13,954 Posts
For the record, DI is doing transmissions too now so you may want to check them out also.

·
got fuel?
2,581 Posts
mine has a bd valve body and t/c with a jasper and has held up well so far but i never beat the truck like i stole it either, i just run it hard at the track, been perfect for 45,000 miles that i've owned it. Time will tell though.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Ive got a 6 speed in my 2000, what mods do I need and what are some good clutches for that hp range?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am very happy with the transmission that John Wood built for me. With the DP programming, it shifts perfectly for me. John installed a billet converter with my tranny. The new programs I got from Jody for my chip keep the converter locked down to around 22mph and it locks up around 30mph. I had installed a lockup switch in my truck but really do not need it anymore with these new programs. Also, the harder I get on the throttle, the firmer the tranny shifts.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Can't answer for Jasper but a good working stock Ford unit will handle 600rwhp with just a transgo shift kit and a good torque converter.
even if you're constantly doing boosted launches and WOT runs? cause I think if I made it to that range I'd be mashing the throttle every single time I could...

·
Registered
349 Posts
even if you're constantly doing boosted launches and WOT runs? cause I think if I made it to that range I'd be mashing the throttle every single time I could...
I am running a diode tranny with a TG shift kit only. I beat the he!! out of the truck the few times I drive it. Before I did the TG shift kit and turbo and injectors. I made 11 dragstrip runs back to back. I actually wanted to break it to convince the wife I needed a BTS unit. No dice, it held up and still is holding up.:blah:

·
Registered
115 Posts
has anybody used TCI converters or master kits? thats what im buildn mine with right now.:confused:

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
This would be a stock 4R100, as opposed to a E4OD?
I know guys that ran 4R100 with tc and vb and dragged and sled pulled and it lived a long time.
I also know guys with stock E4OD with tc and vb and with Stage-1's the trans was died quickly.

Is it because the E4OD are older, more used, higher mileage and more prone to fail because of this, or does the 4R100 just have better parts to begin with?

·
Innovative Fabricator
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What converter are you guys using? I'm thinking of going with a Precision Stallion Converter.

John

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
This would be a stock 4R100, as opposed to a E4OD?
I know guys that ran 4R100 with tc and vb and dragged and sled pulled and it lived a long time.
I also know guys with stock E4OD with tc and vb and with Stage-1's the trans was died quickly.

Is it because the E4OD are older, more used, higher mileage and more prone to fail because of this, or does the 4R100 just have better parts to begin with?
I want to know this as well...
I have a remanufactured ford E4OD with 105K on it...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts