Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ford Fanatic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had an issue with my 04 F250 where it wouldn't start when warm. It has been working fine the last few weeks but check out this AE graph on IPR and ICP readings. The graph shows KOEO (10), cranking (20), idling (25-50), 2000 rpm (50-90).

Link to graph: Google Docs

Question is, shouldn't my IPR % be higher to let more pressure to the injectors? My pressure seems low at all ranges but really low at 2000 rpm.

Thanks in advance for any assist.

·
Ford Fanatic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 50-90 represents the units of time on the graph. I think they are seconds but they seemed less than that when I was taking the readings. So, looking at the graph, from 50 to 90 seconds I reved the engine to 2000 rpm. My high pressure oil reading never went above 1000 psi and the IPR duty cycle stayed around 32 to 33%. To me they both seem low. Just not sure why and how to further diagnose.

·
It wasn't me
1,232 Posts
The 50-90 represents the units of time on the graph. I think they are seconds but they seemed less than that when I was taking the readings. So, looking at the graph, from 50 to 90 seconds I reved the engine to 2000 rpm. My high pressure oil reading never went above 1000 psi and the IPR duty cycle stayed around 32 to 33%. To me they both seem low. Just not sure why and how to further diagnose.
Duh I'm a little slow. More psi with less IPR is the better. The ipr is only gonna open as far as the computer tells it to to receive the correct amount of ICP.

Did you have a load on the engine or were you just "reving" it up?

·
Ford Fanatic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was my thought as well, if IPR is only at 30% or so and I get 1000 psi, that to me means I probably don't have a leak and that my HPOP is putting out 3000+ psi. I think a leak would show more IPR and less pressure. The part I am not sure of is what is the "normal" reading under the same conditions. I hear others talk about HPO of 2 to 3000. I am not getting anywhere near that under my test conditions.

You are right though, I was just reving it in the driveway with no load. A fellow oilburner thought I should take it out under load and see what it is putting out. So that is probably my next step is to hook up the AE and go for a drive.

·
Ford Fanatic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That confirms I need to take it and pull the data under load to see if it is always low. If it is still low I guess I will need to do the air test on the HPO system and see if I hear anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts