Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to read IPR duty cycle without a scan tool? Multi meter test voltage at pins maybe?....

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
Sure, you can hook one lead of your DMM to the yellow/red wire of your IPR (pin 83 @ PCM) and the other to ground. Switch your meter to % and have at it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure, you can hook one lead of your DMM to the yellow/red wire of your IPR (pin 83 @ PCM) and the other to ground. Switch your meter to % and have at it.
Thanks but % of what? What is the signal to the IPR? Is it a variable voltage or maybe a switched "pulsing" on/ off?.....I could just connect the DMM and figure out the signal but I still won't know how to convert it to a duty cycle?

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
Duty cycle is basically a percentage of time that something is "on" for.

Your DMM needs to be capable of reading % or it wont work.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
An O-Scope would work.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK thanks guys. Unfortunately my DMM doesn't have duty cycle............
Here's the deal. I'll just keep going here rather than starting a new thread.
Truck has long crank to start and has had for about 8 months that I've been fighting it. Spent three days at the dealer which was a waste of money and time. At first it seemed the HPOP res bleeding down was the issue but after replacing the injector O rings it no longer bleeds down but still hard start. Months ago I replaced the LPOP but that didn't help. No damage to front cover either. Also took the IPR out and cleaned per the posted instructions though it was nice and clean inside and made no difference. Fresh oil change no help. Day before yesterday I pressure tested each head with a grease gun and both bled down slowly from about 2500PSI down to 500. drivers side took ~ten minutes and the passengers side took ~ 5 minutes. Today I hooked the gage up to the plug in the passenger head and started it while watching the gage and the dash LP gage. Cranks for about 5 seconds before the LP gage moves and just after that the HP gage moves then start. After start high pressure spikes up quick and back down to a steady 1000 PSI. I then did the same start with the IPR sensor unplugged and it does everything the same but at idle the pressure levels off to 750 PSI. Clearly the hard start is due to lack of high pressure oil at startup but I've been beating my head against the wall trying to figure out why. It seems to me that if the HPOP res is full at startup there should be enough oil there to build high pressure right away but it's not happening.
Anyone in the greater Seattle area have AE software I could hook up to my truck? I'll gladly pay for your time.

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
Something is not right, 1000 psi at idle is too high. Might have an IPR, or ICP sensor issue.

Any CEL?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Something is not right, 1000 psi at idle is too high. Might have an IPR, or ICP sensor issue.

Any CEL?
Only when I unhooked the IPR sensor.

I should list some mods of the truck too in case it matters.
215,000 miles on the clock. First it has a multi position "dial" type chip added about 4 years ago "Jodys tunes" though I don't remember the name of his company. The tests above were done in the stock setting though. Stage one single shot injectors from Beans too same time as chip. Truck has intake, turbo and exhaust mods but I'm sure that has nothing to do with the issue at hand.
The 1000 PSI was with a cold engine so maybe thick oil caused it? I'll warm it up and see if pressure drops.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When it warms up the high pressure oil drops slowly. 1000PSI cold down to 650 PSI fully warmed up at idle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It could be a bad ICP sensor. Is there any oil in the sensor connector?
Well.....I don't think there was before this morning when I blew a oil line. There isn't a place with no oil right now......
I should just replace the sensor but aren't they spendy?
How could I test it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The thing that really puzzles me about this is the truck runs like a top once it's started. With the chip on high on the freeway I can floor it and make night time out of day so I'm sure it's getting plenty of oil for the top end..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts