Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
GA Coal Roller
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 25' ft(20'+5' dove) flatbed gooseneck(22.5K GVWR) that I haul my tractor on doing some side jobs. I had a fella ask me the other day if I could haul some hay for him. Said he would give me $100 plus my fuel cost(round-trip) & lunch. The trip is 220 miles one-way. I was thinking about doing it and didn't know if I could do this sorta thing as a side job for some extra cash. Do I need a CDL if I do not go over 26K? Would this sorta thing be "farm related" if I'm doing it for someone else?

Where would I go to post up my equipment for hire? I would really only do my state GA, but maybe some in AL bc I'm right the stateline. What all would I need to get to make sure I don't get any tickets/fines?

·
Here for the party....
787 Posts
Anything that you are hauling for hire requires cdl, log book, medical card, etc. To be "legal", if you get stopped by dot. Only way around it really is if it is your product...your hay, from/to YOUR place..if there is payment in exchange for your service, it's considered commercial commerce. No way in hell I'd do it for $100 plus him covering my fuel on a 440 mile round trip. I'd tell him to keep the lunch and fuel money, and that I needed $700 to do it.

It's your equipment you're using, your flat tire to replace if you get one, your ticket to pay for if you got one, any breakdowns or parts failures you have to eat..I wouldn't touch it without proper payment, to help absorb anything that could happen. I've spent many years in transportation, running my own equipment (Kenworth W900L), and I would never touch a load that wouldn't cover my expenses, plus put a nice wad of cash in my pocket when I was done.

·
GA Coal Roller
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i hear ya. I wasn't sure what the rate/mile was these days. Is there anyway for them to tell it's not mine? I mean....guy gives me cash..under the table sorta thing.

·
GreatWhite
132 Posts
That guy is trying to rip you off. I wouldn't do it for less than $3.25/mile, $715 total. And if you get pulled over, it's your hay for your cows.

·
Here for the party....
787 Posts
Yeah there's ways around them not knowing it's yours. Hay, cattle, hogs etc., it's hard to track who's really the owner, which makes it super easy to sneak around with. I wasn't trying to be a dick with what I said in my original post either, just don't wanna see someone get taken as a fool.

$715? Glad to see I'm the lowballer! Lmao

·
GA Coal Roller
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hahaha! thanks guys! I'll tell him $700 even so he doesn't have to try and use math too much! haha!

I figured it would be fairly easy to disguise this as my stuff...don't wanna give the gov't anymore money than they already take. :hehe:

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've got a 25' ft(20'+5' dove) flatbed gooseneck(22.5K GVWR) that I haul my tractor on doing some side jobs. I had a fella ask me the other day if I could haul some hay for him. Said he would give me $100 plus my fuel cost(round-trip) & lunch. The trip is 220 miles one-way. I was thinking about doing it and didn't know if I could do this sorta thing as a side job for some extra cash. Do I need a CDL if I do not go over 26K? Would this sorta thing be "farm related" if I'm doing it for someone else?

Where would I go to post up my equipment for hire? I would really only do my state GA, but maybe some in AL bc I'm right the stateline. What all would I need to get to make sure I don't get any tickets/fines?
Yes you need a CDL for that. You stated that your trailer GVWR is 22.5k. Add that to your trucks GVWR and you are a long way over 26k.

You need a CDL to haul your tractor as well.

·
GreatWhite
132 Posts
Yes you need a CDL for that. You stated that your trailer GVWR is 22.5k. Add that to your trucks GVWR and you are a long way over 26k.

You need a CDL to haul your tractor as well.
You only need a CDL if you are operating a CMV over 10K. Since this is not a CMV, he does not need a CDL. It doesn't matter what his GVWR is.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
231 Posts
You only need a CDL if you are operating a CMV over 10K. Since this is not a CMV, he does not need a CDL. It doesn't matter what his GVWR is.
You don't need a CDL for a CMV over 10k. Unless it is over 26k GVWR/CGVWR of course.

He will clearly be a CMV (26k+) if hauling hay for hire. He is also a CMV when hauling his tractor for "side jobs". A "not for hire private motor carrier" to be exact.

·
Here for the party....
787 Posts
I guess really it comes down to what state you operate in. Running over 26k, yes, he will need a cdl. I had to dance around an issue with log books, etc., when I was hauling equipment for our shops. I was leaving Texas going into Oklahoma, and I was told YES I needed a log book, and technically a medical card as it was interstate, it was my junk I was hauling, but the end result was a profit being made. If the trooper who stopped me wanted to be a dick about it, I could get a log book ticket. Lots of guys have been stopped for no log book, when pulling their big trailers with pickups. Just because it's "not true" where you are from, doesn't mean it's the same way nationwide.

As far as farm exemption only being 150 miles, then tell me WHY when I was 280 miles away from my home base (air miles, or road miles), that the Texas DOT officer handed me back my log book and said I needed neither...log book or medical card, when I told him where I was coming from, and where I was going, and I had 82k lbs of corn in the wagon (109k lbs gross), on a roadside stop for speeding. Not running apportioned plates, only registered/permitted to run in state.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I guess really it comes down to what state you operate in. Running over 26k, yes, he will need a cdl. I had to dance around an issue with log books, etc., when I was hauling equipment for our shops. I was leaving Texas going into Oklahoma, and I was told YES I needed a log book, and technically a medical card as it was interstate, it was my junk I was hauling, but the end result was a profit being made. If the trooper who stopped me wanted to be a dick about it, I could get a log book ticket. Lots of guys have been stopped for no log book, when pulling their big trailers with pickups. Just because it's "not true" where you are from, doesn't mean it's the same way nationwide.

As far as farm exemption only being 150 miles, then tell me WHY when I was 280 miles away from my home base (air miles, or road miles), that the Texas DOT officer handed me back my log book and said I needed neither...log book or medical card, when I told him where I was coming from, and where I was going, and I had 82k lbs of corn in the wagon (109k lbs gross), on a roadside stop for speeding. Not running apportioned plates, only registered/permitted to run in state.
82k of corn in a wagon? LOL

·
Here for the party....
787 Posts
Wagon = jargon for trailer. Timpte super hopper to he exact.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Wagon = jargon for trailer. Timpte super hopper to he exact.
LEOs are ignorant. Don't depend on them to know the law.

Here read it for yourself.

Farm vehicle drivers are exempt from CDL requirements if:
(2) Used within 150 miles of the person’s farm.
Farm vehicle drivers operating outside the 150 miles of their farm or operating as a for-hire carrier will lose the CDL exemption
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/InternetForms/Forms/CVE-13.pdf

None of this matters anyway because the OP isn't a farmer. He doesn't even play one on TV. LOL

·
GA Coal Roller
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i think I might just stick w/ the grading/digging w/ my tractor. There's a lot more to this than I had imagined. Thanks for all of the input guys!

·
Registered
281 Posts
just to chime in, you wouldnt need to fill out a log book if you arnt geting paid by the mile. you are exempt from log book if you are getting paid by hour or just alittle cash.

·
Registered
231 Posts
just to chime in, you wouldnt need to fill out a log book if you arnt geting paid by the mile. you are exempt from log book if you are getting paid by hour
Whether or not you need a logbook or not has nothing to do with being paid by the hour or mile or not.

or just alittle cash.
Well heck if you are getting paid by cash none of the regulations apply. Right?

·
Registered
608 Posts
just to chime in, you wouldnt need to fill out a log book if you arnt geting paid by the mile. you are exempt from log book if you are getting paid by hour or just alittle cash.
Um, wrong I have to run a log and have a medical card hauling my own material. Best bet is too swing into a scale and talk to them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts