Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Jan 2009 I replaced the water pump. A year later, this happened :mad:

So I decided to gather the parts to convert over to a Int'l water pump with filter :evil

After much research I decided to get a brand new Int'l pump. The pumps are made by Geomar, part # RW6114 ( Geomar Heavy Duty ). I bought the pump from these guys Mondial Automotive | Remanufactured and New Alternators, Carburetors, Generators, and Starters for Cars, Trucks, Vans and Boats for under $200. Int'l wanted $394. The Geomar unit is cast iron and has some weight to it. For more info New Source for International Water Pump - NAPA - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

I'm not going to go over on how to drain the coolant, remove fan/shround and water pump.

The boss under water outlet needs to be ground down. The boss is meant to be used with a pulley. But to retain the stock serpentine belt, it needs to be ground down.

The pump has multiple ports. The plugs come with the pump and plug them as needed. The heater hose that goes over the alternator could now be relocated. Also the degas bottle hose that "tee's" into the lower rad hose get eliminated and so does the lower rad hose. They get moved to the water inlet. This where to install the barb fittings.

You are going to need different lengths bolts, some of the stock would work but I bought all new bolts from Int'l. The pump takes the longer T-stat.

After I installed the water pump, as I began to install the water pump pulley and it was hitting the pump body. WTF :mad: A little investigation revealed that the raised casting number was hitting. Some more grinding got rid of it. I also opted to grind the backside of the pulley slightly for extra clearance.

I re-used the upper hose and water outlet because I replaced them last year and they were in good shape.

Parts:

- Water pump (Geomar RW6114) or Int'l 1831676C92
- 30 mm bolts (Int'l 1817958C1) need 3
- 60 mm bolts (Int'l 1817811C1) need 2
- 110 mm bolts (Int'l 1818693C1 need 4
- Fleatguard WF2071 coolant filter 4 SCA
- Lower hose NAPA 8763 (Dodge Cummins 89-93 I think)
- T-stat (Int'l 1823417C92) 192*
- 2'-3' of 1" heater hose
- 3/4 NPT to 1" male barb*
- 1/2 NPT to 5/8 male barb*
* NOTE: Straight fittings could be used but 45* are better
- 3/4 NPT to 1" male barb 45* (Jeg's 100491)
- 1/2 NPT to 5/8 male barb 45* (Russell 663080)

Hint: Install the barb fittings prior to installing the water pump, don't ask me how I know :pointlaugh: I wasn't able to get the smaller 45* barb fitting on because it would hit the backpressure tube on the swing. I sleeved the heater hose with some thermal barrier I had lying around.

For more pics International water pump w/ filter pictures from trucks photos on webshots

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Cool. I did mine years ago, glad to see that upgrade is still being done.

Why just a 192° stat and not the 203°?

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. I did mine years ago, glad to see that upgrade is still being done.

Why just a 192° stat and not the 203°?
Thanks

I thought I got the 203º one because it was the long type. After I opened the box, I saw it was 192º :( I don't know if 9 º would make a difference.

And to compound the issue T-stat issue, I got confused over the long and short type:confused:

After driving for 50 miles, the coolant needle would just barely get to the "N". Previously it would get to the "R" with the Stant T-stat I had in there.

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Any photos of the new hose set up? If you want to create a little write up Billy this would be another great one for the library.

Tom

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any photos of the new hose set up? If you want to create a little write up Billy this would be another great one for the library.

Tom
Will do. The pics are going to be tought as it's crowed in that area but I will try. You have to give me a few days, it's going to rain here starting today through the weekend.

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
OBS Stroker
1,004 Posts
I had no idea this existed. Thanks!

·
JFURNER77
404 Posts

Tom
:whs:
Looks good ;)

The oil cooler gets contaiminated and plugged up very easily also. I think it would be a good idea to make sure it was clean, or install a new one at the same time of pump/ filter conversion.
Just my .02

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Thanks

I thought I got the 203º one because it was the long type. After I opened the box, I saw it was 192º :( I don't know if 9 º would make a difference.
FYI, International designed the 7.3 PSD with the 203° stat and all IH trucks with the T444E had the 203°. To me, they did it for a reason, so I went with the 203° stat when I did mine. I think Ford dropped the temps because the OBS didn't have an intercooler, whereas all IH trucks with the T444E had an intercooler anyway. Just a thought.

·
ohh bee ess
50 Posts
Last Jan 2009 I replaced the water pump. A year later, this happened :mad:

Billy T.
[email protected]
Where did you buy the failed pump you installed last year? New or reman.? (Looks like a new aftermarket from the pic). I just replaced the w.p. with a new NAPA pump (made by Airtex)...looks to be good quality, but...? I'm almost positive it was the original pump (if so, it lasted 163k miles). If my new pump only lasts a year or two, i'll be pissed (and probably will end up w/ an IH pump).

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where did you buy the failed pump you installed last year? New or reman.? (Looks like a new aftermarket from the pic). I just replaced the w.p. with a new NAPA pump (made by Airtex)...looks to be good quality, but...? I'm almost positive it was the original pump (if so, it lasted 163k miles). If my new pump only lasts a year or two, i'll be pissed (and probably will end up w/ an IH pump).
Yes, that was a NEW lifetime gaurantee Airtex pump. Not only did the it starting but the bearing is wobbling which could've been very bad. :eek: Sure they'll give you a new pump but who is covering the labor. :mad:

Sorry guys about the pics and write up, had some storm damage from last weekend's Nor-Easter. Few trees fell against my house and was out cutting them down. I did not forget about the pics.

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
ohh bee ess
50 Posts
Yes, that was a NEW lifetime gaurantee Airtex pump. Not only did the it starting but the bearing is wobbling which could've been very bad. :eek: Sure they'll give you a new pump but who is covering the labor. :mad:

Billy T.
[email protected]
:doh::doh::doh::( I guess i'll just cross my fingers and hope I don't end up resurrecting this thread from the dead next year) LOL! Thanks for listing the parts and part #s for the pump conversion...very helpful.

·
Let'er Buck!
1,686 Posts
Interested in seeing more pics too. Unfortunately I cannot access Webshots at work anymore due to a virus that was aquired a couple of months ago and crashed my computer. Sucks cause I can't even use my own webshots account anymore.

Is there I way you or someone in this thread could post pics of the process from his webshots account. I'm wanting to put a coolant filter in but don't like any of the pre-fabbed kits. Really like this idea and it sounds like it really cleans up the routing of the hoses, plus has a filter built in.

Thanks!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts