Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Fire Chief for a town in my county bought a 2004 6.0 last year and hasn't done anything to it. The PO did a few updates, but I'm not sure what. Anyway, I just found out he has it, so I'm trying to help get him bulletproofed, etc. Well, he calls me today and tells me he's been having a stumble/miss at random times, and his fuel pressure drops down to about 50 and fluctuates a bit when this happens...otherwise it's steady at 59 PSI. I start brainstorming, thinking maybe it's a fuel filter issue because he never changed them, and has no idea what kind of maintenance it had prior. Then he tells me that while it does this randomly while driving normally, he says it ALWAYS happens any time he is driving uphill. THAT is where it has me stumped. I would suspect fuel starvation, but he said the last time it did it his tank was full, and he's pretty sure the other times it was full as well (he lives about 2 hours from the nearest fuel station, so he always fills up before he goes home). This is new on me. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Change both fuel filters, I suspect a crappy frame rail filter without the upright tab and the hill floats some stuff into the lines. The filter will only be black on a quarter of it.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never heard of an upright tab. Can you elaborate? And changing the filters is #1 on his agenda...once they come in. None of the carriers make deliveries to his town, so deliveries come once a week from their drop location in the next nearest town, so if his package arrives the day of delivery, he has to wait an extra week. The price they pay for living in a remote location I guess. lol

·
Registered
667 Posts
DTR has a video on it

The frame rail filter has a weep hole and a tab to orient the weep hole in the upright spot. When you install the filter it will turn with the cap untill the tab hits top and stay upright. Filters that don't do this I guess filter for a bit then just bypass, that's why only a quarter will be black.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,281 Posts
I would love to see a link to that DTR video.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like he's right about the tab. Here's the video. Appears to be mainly for letting air out of the system, and won't actually be a bypass. Part about the tab is around the two minute mark.

Reactions: bismic1

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,281 Posts
Thanks Weatherlite. The bypass statement is what was throwing me. There isn't a "bypass" really, it is just that any air that is not bled out will take up space that is intended to be used for filtration. Just semantics I guess. The real emphasis is to not use aftermarket filters!!

·
Registered
667 Posts
All that's it, I couldn't remember why it would not filter the whole thing

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,281 Posts
It was a good suggestion, thanks for posting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts