Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a thread that will show how i plan to convert my stock grey inerior from my 06 extended cab to black, with custom seat covers. Heres the list of what will get done, or atleast the plan

-All door panels, dash, a pillars, and all other plastics will get painted with OEM approved color bond paint (will look factory black, see test samples below)
-Head liner will be recovered using black suede
-Carpet will be replaced using new factory oem black carpet from ford
-Seat covers will be replaced with custom katzkin seat covers (going black leather with suede inserts, and double red stiching...not sure if i want to do black suede or red suede inserts...thoughts?)
-The interior will be completley rewired and customs switch panels installed
-Also debating to put down sound deadner matting

I started the project this weekend, by removing my factory interior (minus the dash for now) and also tested the colorbond product for color last week...

duplicolor interior paint on the left, color bond on the right (colorbond looks amazing and durable)

stock interior

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
seats removed

out comes the carpet and headliner, as well as the pillars (wire mess!)

new driver seat?

start of my parts pile

plans for this week are to prep all the stock plastics, and start painting! hope to have my carpet ordered this week, and get the correct suede for the head liner (ordered some, but was to short of a piece)

·
Registered
591 Posts
subd. this should be a good one

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thinking about doing something similar with my truck. I don't care fore that darker gray that Ford put in these and would like to change it to black. Whats your plan for you steering wheel/airbag?

Thanks Rick

·
is awesome
45 Posts
yes def want to see it done!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Were did you order the carpet from??
after hearing all of the horror stories of after market i went through ford, i got the extended cab harley carpet, it should have the factory padding and all the cut outs already, and should not need to be trimmed, but well see how it comes in

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thinking about doing something similar with my truck. I don't care fore that darker gray that Ford put in these and would like to change it to black. Whats your plan for you steering wheel/airbag?

Thanks Rick
My steering wheel is actually black, so i will not need to do anything with that Being that i already changed all the interior LED's to red, the buttons now light up red along with all the other accessories in the cab.

as far as the dash goes, i will be removing all of the wood grain (somehow) and doing a viny. wrap as long as i can find the specific vinal i am looking for. I will also be removing the entire dash assembly and painting that as well.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Last nights progress. Last night i decided to start into the seats, and remove the covers from them. The back bench seats where a piece of cake. Once i removed all of the seat mounting brackets, the covers cam off nice and easy.

The front seat was a little more complicated than that. I removed the seat track on the bottom, then i had to dissconnect the seat heater cable, the pull the lumbar support knob off (which was a PIA) then removed the seat tilt handle, and cable from the track.

After i got that done, i dissconnected the harnesses under the seat, remove the side plastic trim, un bolted the seat belt bolts, and the hinge point bolts and seperated the back from the bottom of the seat. After that i removed the seatbelt trim on the top of the seat, and the arm rest, i then removed the cover from the back. After i got the cover off the back, i took a hammer and tapped the 2 plastic head rest holders out of the seat. once these were off, i was able to get the entire cover seperated from the back of the seat.

The bottom of the seat was a little easier, it was just held on with the plastic track clips that i just pryed up either by hand or a screwdriver. Being carefull not to pull the seat heater off, i removed the cover from the bottom.

Tonight i will try and get the driver side front seat done, and load the pictures....

i seem to have everything covered for the interior, with the exception of the seatbelts...i priced out new ones from ford and they are very expensive...anyone have another Idea?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got my new black factory carpet...and i must say well worth every peny....black looks awesome...holes are precut...and has the new padding. Only thing i will have to cut is a hole for my 4x4 lever which i am more than capable of doing, ..il post pics soon

also tonight i start paiting the plastics!
Ordered some dynomat to line the cab floor, ordered some wire, and new keypad switch for a custom switch set up. Expecting some snow this weekend, so hopefully il get some work done

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update and some pictures: Oem Carpet came in last week. Also i was able to remove all of the seat covers, headrests, and arm rests. I also removed the old grey fabric from the head liner, and i am expecting my suede to be in this week. I have been in touch with a company here in NJ who is going to do some hydrographics for me (everything wood grain will be dipped in red and black carbon fiber) I am also going to wrap the door switch bezles with black carbon fiber. I will be ordering my Katzkin covers today. I have also ordered some wire, and other components in order to get the wiring mess squared away in the cab. Here is some pictures of the progress
Pictures on the rear seats with the covers still on...and then the covers all off, and the pile of foam and parts.....

New Carpet...Dirty because i rolled it out on the floor and put the old one on top to see if the cuts lined up...Carpet is a perfect match to the stock one..well worth the extra money

Removing the old head liner fabric

fabric removed

Head liner fabric completley removed Little foam left behind in this picture, which i was able to remove with a wire brush

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Well done

·
Registered
591 Posts
howd you get the old headliner off so cleanly? i did the liner on my old 98 f150 xcab and i had to us a putty knife all the way across the thing to get the foam off

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
howd you get the old headliner off so cleanly? i did the liner on my old 98 f150 xcab and i had to us a putty knife all the way across the thing to get the foam off
Very carefully, took me over an hour and a lot of patients, I started at the corner worked my way accross the top edge of the head liner, then slowy started pealing it down, then once i had enough, i rolled up what was pealed and used it almost as a grab point to keep pulling the liner off evenly. Whenever the foam started to stick to the head board, i took the knife and carefully sliced where the foam and fabric met in order to keep it all together, then when i was done i took the wire brush and lightly scrubbed the remain foam left behind off..

·
Registered
49 Posts
please keep us updated, as to your progress. I too am changing the gray interior to black. Great job so far. Thanks for the pictures. Keep them coming.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I went on the katzkin site, and it stated that their leather kits would not fit our trucks if we have factory leather. Have you ran into any problems with their kits fitting your seats.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Do you have the part number for the carpeting. If so could you please post it. I too would like to replace with oem carpet. Like you i have heard horror stories about after market carpeting and it would be worth the cost of the oem carpeting. I went on the ford site and could not find it. Thanks in advance!!!

1 - 20 of 177 Posts