Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Wheres the Spark Plugs?
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to swap to a better intercooler to hopefully put EGT's down for good. I was considering either the Banks (wow, is it made of gold???) or the ATS. Is there a better more affordable option I haven't found yet?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Spearco...pricey though.

Maybe look into your tuning to manage temps.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Banks or spearco. Beleive it or not the banks intercooler is actually one of the best qualitly and performing intercooler's.

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
I have the banks, it is a very nice piece and fits well. Dont really know how much charge air temps dropped though.

In all honesty I do not think they are any more expensive than other reputable brands, and they do include new piping which the others dont.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I would first be wanting to know how high your EGTS are and what is causing it as you are likely treating the symptoms of something else. Unless you are wanting to jsut get them down even lower than what is the norm. Water inject is another option and offers more benefits as cheaper to boot. There are guys on here running fairly big HP number as still on stock intercoolers. IMO a intercooler upgrade is the the least bang for your buck of performance upgrades. Many other things you can spend $1K + on that will have a much bigger effect. As intercooler go I would choose DI, Spearco, Hypermax.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'am thinking of puttin a new intercooler in mine also i think banks has a really nice one just remember u get what u pay for i think the banks is worth the money

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
If you want to get the biggest and best...

Hypermax...

Really, it is the largest and highest flowing one on the market.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I would first be wanting to know how high your EGTS are and what is causing it as you are likely treating the symptoms of something else. Unless you are wanting to jsut get them down even lower than what is the norm. Water inject is another option and offers more benefits as cheaper to boot. There are guys on here running fairly big HP number as still on stock intercoolers. IMO a intercooler upgrade is the the least bang for your buck of performance upgrades. Many other things you can spend $1K + on that will have a much bigger effect. As intercooler go I would choose DI, Spearco, Hypermax.
I second this. An after market inter cooler will drop temps a little but I question what is going on with a stock truck to get your temps so high to begin with.

What is a 38r with high flow outlet? Is that a 1.15 outlet?

Unless you know for sure that your stock one is shot, I wouldn't spend the $1400.00 on this.

Send that edge to Bill at PHP and get him to put some better tunes on it. That will do more to drop your temps than a new Inter-cooler IMO.

Have you scanned your truck and Is your HPOP healthy?

If you decide to get a new inter-cooler, I have a Banks Inter-cooler and I like the quality of it.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts

Hypermax...

X2

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
What are your egts running?

What type of driving conditions and temps accompany them?

Egt cruising steady flat ground at 75mph what are your egts?

What gears are you running with those 38's?

If you are actually getting hot egts I would be looking for the real reason unless your intercooler is damaged. Tunes, leaking boots, up pipes can all be at the root.

·
Registered
7,810 Posts

Hypermax...

Largest and highest flowing don't mean it's the best.
The purpose of an aftermarket intercooler is to remove more heat than the factory one while not reducing flow.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
But the one with the largest flow would be meeting half of what you stated in not reducing flow. As in the least amount of reduction compared to no intercooler at all. The one that flows the most at a given pressure would it not reduce the flow the least? I do agree flow does not mean that much if it doesn't cooler the air.

·
Registered
920 Posts
To the OP. Can you figure out a way to confirm what the Edge is telling you for EGTs?

Maybe get it hot and jump out and shoot the manifold with a laser thermometer. Or thread a manual pyrometer in there and get some temp data.

The digital Edge is not known for its accuracy. It may just be off a couple hundred degrees.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Just for reference, my truck with 4.88 gearing but 31" tires EGTs are 300* at idle, and 600* at 60 MPH (2300 RPMs) Readings taken in my 100HP chip setting, level terrain.

Mods are similar, my truck weighs 2k Lbs more.

·
Wheres the Spark Plugs?
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I second this. An after market inter cooler will drop temps a little but I question what is going on with a stock truck to get your temps so high to begin with.

What is a 38r with high flow outlet? Is that a 1.15 outlet?

Unless you know for sure that your stock one is shot, I wouldn't spend the $1400.00 on this.

Send that edge to Bill at PHP and get him to put some better tunes on it. That will do more to drop your temps than a new Inter-cooler IMO.

Have you scanned your truck and Is your HPOP healthy?

If you decide to get a new inter-cooler, I have a Banks Inter-cooler and I like the quality of it.
Havent scanned the truck yet but I do see a SES Light and receive a code of P1211 if I mash the throttle to the floor for and real length of time. I am seeing EGT Temps of around 1050 to 1150 on just a slight grade with no load driving at 65 to 70 mph. My EGT probe is located where Edge instructed me to put it, on the topside of the drivers exhaust manifold in the middle of the 3rd and 4th cylinder. Im sure I can contribute some of the temp to the canned tunes on the Edge. Im assuming a better investment might be to look towards changing the HPOP to an Adrenaline or something along those lines and having the Tunes changed. Unless I am misinterpreting what you are trying to tell me.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts