Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I was getting on the freeway and jumped on it and heard a big pop. Then I noticed I had no boost. pulled off the closest exit and found the intercooler tube blew off of the turbo. I have the banks Technicooler so it was the little boot that say banks on it. My question is does anyone know of a way to keep this from happening again or does some one carry aftermarket books cause I heard that this is a common problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

· Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I already sent them an email. Just wanted to know if there was something better out there or something I could do till I get the new one.

· Registered
1,468 Posts
Make sure it's clean and torque to 9 ft-lbs (108 in-lbs). Mine has never popped off and I've seen about 28psi. Most of the time they aren't tight enough if you don't use a torque wrench.

· Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i will have to admit i didn't torque it when I put the new turbo on. But it did boost over 28 psi.

· Registered
770 Posts
Sometimes those clamps tend to strip on the bolt not allowing for it to get tight enough. If that is the case just get a bigger spring that will move the nut further out on the bolt. I dont even use those clamps anymore. I think the NAPA boots are pretty good. I still have banks boots but I always clean them real good before installing them again

· Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. so I went back and torqued them cartmanea said to do and they weren't even close. lol. oops. so hopefully this time it won't happen again.

· Registered
1,468 Posts
I'd bet that is the problem 95% of the time. I've tightened them by hand until I thought they were too tight, then put the torque wrench on them and they were still under spec.

· Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah I am sure you are right because when I tightened them by hand I was worried I was going to over tighten and brake them but I guess I was wrong.

· Registered
667 Posts
i bought the new boots from silicone boots or intakes not sure .com have the early banks system and never popped a boot. i did split the original banks boot. By the way banks would sell me just the boot. they wanted to sell me an entire pipe kit. I bought the boot for less than 20 dollars with 3 days shipping

· Damnkids Motorsports
2,261 Posts
Also make sure the pipe and boot are both really clean and oil free. You can also use hairspray on it to make it "tacky" and grip more if it happens again. I've pegged my 35psi gauge more than a few times and have had no troubles with just my stock stuff.

· Registered
1,468 Posts
i bought the new boots from silicone boots or intakes not sure .com have the early banks system and never popped a boot. i did split the original banks boot. By the way banks would sell me just the boot. they wanted to sell me an entire pipe kit. I bought the boot for less than 20 dollars with 3 days shipping
I bought several boots and random hardware from Banks for the used Technicooler kit I bought locally, they didn't have a problem selling me individual parts.

· Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No wurries here anymore. Was rippen on it on the way to work and everything looks good and didnt move a bit. Thanks for the help fellas

· Registered
667 Posts
I bought several boots and random hardware from Banks for the used Technicooler kit I bought locally, they didn't have a problem selling me individual parts.
new or old kit. they wouldn;t sell me the boots for the old kit. new kit no problem. I dunno I switched all my boots o the black boots anyway

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.