Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some oil leakage on the driveway couple weeks ago and took my 2000 F-250 Crew Cab 7.3 to the stealership in Liberty, MO for diagnosis/quote. They claimed a majority of the oil was coming from ICP sensor and changed it out and added dye to the oil for easier future diagnosis. Still getting leakage so took it back 2 weeks later. Turns out it is coming from the intercooler boots, mostly on the passenger side, some on the driver side where it connects to the intercooler.

Mechanic says I have an oil leak coming from where there should be no oil, that he would recommend changing the hoses for $600 and the turbo charger for another $2500 since it's probably going out and causing the oil leak in the CAC lines.

Service advisor says "Well, you have 225k on the truck. We should probably just look at putting a new motor in there because if we fix the leak, it will probably just leak somewhere else."

Took me 5 minutes of research on PSN to find out that with the enclosed CCV system on the 7.3, you will have oil circulating, and that the silicone boots are not compatible with oil. So I ordered a boot kit for $114 from Dieselsite and will be replacing the boots myself when they arrive.

I found the stealership's response and the "Diesel guy's" diagnosis to be rather laughable if a guy like me, with no diesel training whatsoever can disprove his expert diagnosis with 5 minutes of research.

On a more serious note, other than the CCV mod, would anyone recommend doing anything else to the old girl when I replace the boots, or is that a sufficient fix to the oil seepage?

Thanks in advance.

·
03 F350 7.3L
220 Posts

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
The air filter. This isn't a gasser where you have to worry about getting spark plug wires wet, etc... obviously don't continually spray electrical connections/computers, etc. But you're not going to hurt anything if you stay on the engine

·
Registered
616 Posts
How much oil is leaking from the boots? Without the CCV mod, it is normal to have slight oil in the system. If it is dripping out of the boots, you have other issues to deal with. Could be the turbo, could be excessive blow by. With the engine idling, take the oil fill cap off and flip it upside down, it should remain in place. With excessive blow by, the cap with get blown off.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
How much oil is leaking from the boots? Without the CCV mod, it is normal to have slight oil in the system. If it is dripping out of the boots, you have other issues to deal with. Could be the turbo, could be excessive blow by. With the engine idling, take the oil fill cap off and flip it upside down, it should remain in place. With excessive blow by, the cap with get blown off.
I'm with him. You get some oil in the system from the ccv but shouldn't be so much its dripping. You need to check the turbo and may want to pull the intercooler and flush it out if its dripping out the outlet tube.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
I pulled mine all apart and did the dieselsite boots and cleaned everything out at 160,000 miles and I had little puddles of oil and oil film all over in mine. If its never been cleaned out then its normal to have some more oil then a mist. I cleaned mine out and checked the turbo shaft play (a very little amount of up and down but no in and out) put in the wwII I got for nothing, put it back together and 50,000 miles later still purring like a champ. Clan the ducts out really good with brake cleaner and all your connections where the boots will be clamped to also and check the turbo for oil seepage and shaft play. If non found put it together and drive it about 2 to 3 weeks and pull the hot side pipe back off and check for alot of oil. If theres just a film your good to go. You can pull the turbo and rebuild it with a garret rebuild kit for $80 bucks if you feel up to it as there not hard to do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use Rotella 15w-40.

The truck does have 225k on it and what appears to be the original boots. Overnight it will leave a saucer - sized puddle of oil on the driveway under the passenger side boot. The driver side has some seepage but isn't to the point of dripping. I figure the old silicone boots are just wore out. Do you all think, with this level of leakage, that I have excessive blow-by or a possible turbo issue? I've read that those things pretty commonly get saturated and will even blow off completely. I haven't had anything like that happen and don't want to.

Since I've recently liquidated my railroad contracting company, the old girl is getting ready to go up for sale, but I want to be sure she's in tip-top shape since that's the way I've always kept her.

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
Check all of the HPOP lines for leakage. Turbo may need a rebuild but the parts including new washers are less than $100, not $2500.

·
Registered
616 Posts
If you're getting that every night, you'll need more than a CCV mod and new boots.

·
Road Hammer
628 Posts
Mine was dripping daily when I had the stock CCV, and for a few weeks after I rerouted to the atmosphere dump. The pass side still forms oil on the clamps and boot more than a year after the change up.

I haven't had any issues, but I would recommend pulling the intercooler to clean/drain out to avoid this annoying little mess.

·
03 F350 7.3L
220 Posts
The air filter. This isn't a gasser where you have to worry about getting spark plug wires wet, etc... obviously don't continually spray electrical connections/computers, etc. But you're not going to hurt anything if you stay on the engine
Do you just use water?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Do you just use water?
soak it with Super Clean. this stuff eats the oil so let it sit for 5 or 10 min, then a hot water pressure washer is best
we buy 20 pails of Super CLean at work for cleaning machinery. it has acid in it so watch your eyes and skin

·
03 F350 7.3L
220 Posts
I just have a regular pressure washer not heated :(

·
Registered
245 Posts
Bahahahahahahaha. Gotta LOVE the stealership. :doh:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts