Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
dinnerbooter treasurer
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine that is in my super duty is out of a 1994 F250 and on those engines there are 2 holes in the intake runner that are not there. I believe they started putting them in, in 1996 but I could be mistaken on on that year. So when I put the engine in my truck and put the 3 inch intakes on I had to weld up those holes and I made some straps that went over the missing hole to put some pressure on them and make sure they didn't leak. Once the setup was installed and I looked at it I realized I did not like it and wanted to do something different. I saw the intakes that WOP was selling and said I could make a set of them really easy so I was talking to one of my coworkers and we decided that I would try to make some that were a little more elaborate than the WOP ones. I would have liked to use aluminium but I do not have easy access to any so I settled for stainless steel. I really like working with stainless but it warps very bad when you weld it. I got one of the runners done and it is somewhat warped but I am confident with a little persuasion it will see my point of view and come around. I tried to take pictures at each step so you could see how i went about setting these up and completing them. The second one I have tacked together at the moment and I am going to try a couple different things while welding it to keep it from warping. Let me know what you think of them I know I have to go over a couple of my welds and clean them up but for the most part the finished one is looking pretty decent.

This is a stock runner that I used for a model.

A couple pieces of flat stock cut to size.

Some 3 inch tubing cut to the right length.

Holes marked. Notice that I left out the ones that I don't need.

Holes are drilled and notches are made.

These are a couple pieces of 2 inch tubing that I notched and then free hand cut on the band saw to an angle.

Same thing just upside down.

Here the location of the tubing is marked on the plate and the other pieces I made are set in place.

Another view from the top.

After marking I took the plasma and cut out what i didn't want.

In this one you see I made another piece for the other side of the tubing and have it all laid out the way I am going to want it.

Another view of the whole layout. You can see that I will have to modify the 2 inch piece so that the bolts will fit in. I will probably also use cap screws when I install it because they have a smaller head on them.

Here is the first one all welded up. You can see how warped it got while I was welding it.

Here is a top view of it. When I persuaded the 2 inch piece where the bolts holes are I managed to squish the base of the runner together a little bit. This is making the straightening of it a little more difficult but not impossible. I have it in much better shape now than what it is in these last 2 pictures but not in good enough shape that I want to post a picture of it up. I also want to add a ring to the top of the 3 inch piece to help the clamp in holding the intake hoses on. I will probably add that when I get it all done and straight.

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
Damn man thats pretty sweet . Lots of options there .

·
All Talk, No Walk?
2,358 Posts
Could you use thicker plate steel to help prevent warping?

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
Steve your going to have to weld that like its a body panel to keep it somewhat straight. Might even think about a jig of somesort. .02 cents.

·
Registered
202 Posts
That an awsome idea good job! You could mabey try using the bolt holes you drilled to fasten them to a plate and then weld it in small tacks and quench them as you go so the heat doesnt dissipate into the surrounding material and warp so much. I do this often at work with good results in sheet metal. Thanks for adding one more project to my list! LOL

·
dinnerbooter treasurer
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We discused all these ideas at work and the jig would probably work. The one I am working on now I am welding like a body panel and letting it cool inbetween welds but it is still worping bad. That is the nature of stainless. I have some spare heads that I may try bolting one on and welding it. What I really want to do is to make some out of aluminum, I think that would be much easier. There is no way that making them and selling them would be possible and to make any money at it. I have well over 8 hours into them now and I don't have a set done. I may be able to refine my process and do it quicker and easier but it is still a ton of work.

The one I am making now I am doing a couple things different and I am pretty sure that I will get it to come out straight in the end. I will keep you all updated.

·
dinnerbooter treasurer
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well after spending a lot of time on this and them not coming out the way I had anticipated I decided to try this again with aluminum. So here goes round 2.

·
dinnerbooter treasurer
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I got quite a bit done on this set. I have to cut out the bottom plate yet but I am happy with them so far. The one I took pictures of has the crappier welds. That was the first aluminum I have welded in a long time so it took a bit to get the welder dialed in but I will grind out the bad welds and redo them. I didn't end up welding these with a TIG I used a spool gun.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Sweet the aluminum looks like it's holding it's shape better

·
F250 Black Cloud Edition
690 Posts
Ive got all the stuff at the shop where i work to do these outta aluminum also. I run a waterjet, im gonna cut the bottoms out on it. And then work on the rest. Gonna make a jig and try it like that.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think im going to try a set with steel
:poke:

·
USASF Retired
305 Posts
I think you guys are on to something good!!! Keep posting pics of your progress.

·
Registered
49 Posts
great job dude...i just pulled my turbo and saw the factory ones and thought about the same thing....i didnt fully understand how it would help a stock motor. it gives u more volume but them you would need more turbo to boost up the more volume...am i thinkin about this right?

·
USAF Machinist
128 Posts
Same volume at lower pressure equals less heat equals more efficient and lower egt's. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts