Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Yeah, it's like that
2,419 Posts
Better mileage? No. More power? No. I did one, the only thing I noticed was better response from idle.

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,260 Posts
Best thing those are good for is lightening up your wallet.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
They allow you to have ports in the elbow, looks cleaner, I can't tell you if they cause you to have better mileage because I did alot of things at the same time...

·
Its a wild ride...
560 Posts
Since the elbow isn't the biggest restriction from the factory replacing it does little to nothing other than bling factor. The factory elbow is thick enough to drill and tap for ports too. That's my advise if you're on a budget.

·
burning mine saving yours
183 Posts
the 03-04 ones suck though because they have that valve under the elbow...If you buy an aftermarket it goes bye-bye
Thats a good point. Not saying its worth the money, but i hate having stuff in my engine thats just sitting there not being used.

·
Pitbull-Powerstroker
125 Posts
the 03-04 ones suck though because they have that valve under the elbow...If you buy an aftermarket it goes bye-bye

Thats true but so many 05+ owners bought aftermarket that guys like me with 03-04 trucks can by the 05+ stock elbow for very cheap and get rid of the butterfly thing and thats a good move

·
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"
2,054 Posts
What the hell is that butterfly thing and whats the purpose of removing it? I already have a banks elbow in mine and see there is a butterfly valve under there.

·
Registered
357 Posts
butterfly is to increase egr flow. Thats why the early trucks had them (though not actually functioning on some models). Ford then switched to the scoop in the up pipe, cheaper way of accomplishing the same thing.

if you buy an aftermarket elbo that does not accept the o ring, they generally blow the paper gasket out and cause oil to leak all over the place.

If you have the butterfly remove the two screws holding the plate in place and remove it if your that concerned. (i'd remove the throttle body before doing so incase you drop a screw so it does not go down the intake) the shaft that's left behind won't do #### to limit restriction.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Be forewarned...some early model trucks will set a CEL. No tuner was able to write that out for me so I had to put the original elbow back on.

·
Pitbull-Powerstroker
125 Posts
I have an 04 and when i bought an 05 elbow and removed the throttle plate assembly it did not throw a CEL but did a soft code.

·
burning mine saving yours
183 Posts
Be forewarned...some early model trucks will set a CEL. No tuner was able to write that out for me so I had to put the original elbow back on.
I've heard that, but didn't get a cel on mine when i pulled it out and replaced it with an aftermarket elbow.

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
WTF thats nuts!!! its like they were like #### it. Anyone else got a 03 to verify the same thing?
edit you do v

·
In The Passing Lane
198 Posts
My '03 does not have the butterfly valve...and there is nothing in the connector either.
Here's a picture of it.
PowerStrokeNation
same here. i went in to pull the valve out and there wasnt one in there. build date of 11-02.

Garrett

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Waste of money.
Which part?
The butterfly valve, or aftermarket elbows in general?
Even the BANKS never had any ports, I had to drill and tap one into it. At least you can get three ports on the CFM. 1 for boost, and more for water/method, or nitrous.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
so if i have the FCDP EGR delete on my 03, is the butterfly still there?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts