Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this may me lengthy but have searched the web and so many different answers. It all started about 1yr ago when my truck would not start. Upon further review found through my mini maxx that it was sending several codes. Instrument cluster communications and code 73 which has something to do with communication erroes on the can bus. The airbag light was the only light on. I would have to wait sometimes 5min to 45 min continually trying to start after resetting the codes for it to fire up. Sometimes started fine sometomes it would start but instruments would go crazy even after starting. Well that seemed to go away, It would then periodcally either not start with instrument cluster issue again or cruise would shut off and fan would go into high while driving. Both these issues would simply be fixed by resetting the codes. Well yesterday the old resetting codes were not good enough and had to wait thing started again. Now all that being said, I have scouward the web looking at forums and such. I have come to two possible scenerios in my opinion. 1) bad instrument cluster causing all head aches 2) loose wire somewere and no idea were all the places to check are.
If there is a Ford mechanic out there who could put togeather a trouble shooting map on this I am sure it would be re-posted around the net.
Any help would be appreciated.

Bear

·
Registered
124 Posts
Your first scenario is a YAHTZEE!!! The cluster is causing the issues with the starting, the gauges going crazy and the airbag light being the only thing lit when it's acting up. How do I know this? I worked at Ford for a short time, I own an F350 that is doing the exact same thing! We ran a few tests and determined that the cluster is going off-line and causing communication issues with the rest of the truck leading to the no-start and wonky acting gauges! Mine hasn't done it in a few weeks now...I'm just waiting until I get some extra coin to replace it!

Ultimately, the cluster will have to be replaced. If you get it done, make sure you bring ALL the keys you have for the truck with you as they will have to be reprogrammed to the new cluster.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts