Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so freshly charged and load tested the batteries at auto zone. Brand new HO alternator from DC power, truck sits over night and next morning I have dead batteries. I used a red neck load tester, light in line of battery and load, to traced the load to the instrument cluster fuse. Anyone run into this where the cluster can kill three yellow top optimas in a 24 hour period?

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have a remote start installed on it. What all is on the instrument cluster circuit?

·
GoNavy!
3,077 Posts
Well I know for sure the tach wire is hooked up to it but there couold be others feeding back to it... Might be something to check out.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't pick up tach sense from the cluster. I have mine on a timer.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even better I got a clamp load tester and now it is only showing a .5-.9A draw from the 4awg wire that runs into the trucks fuse box. I don't think that would be enough to kill 3 batteries...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you think it is possible that a relay stuck? Thats the only thing I can think of...I have started the truck by key and remote start and eventually the draw drops to less than 1 amp. Is the GEM on the instrument cluster?

·
GoNavy!
3,077 Posts
The GEM is attached to the fuse box... It could be very possible a relay stuck... Also the GEM has alot to do with instrument lights. Why did you bring the GEM up?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thinking out load really. I am letting the truck sit for over 24 hours to see what the deal is and allow everything that needs to cool down to do so. I am hoping I return to a truck with dead batteries and a hot relay so I know which one has failed. As of now I got nada...and intermittent draw and a really neato amp clamp meter.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wish, I live in TX and the rain has been lacking lately.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You know the pain then. Truck has been sitting for 2 days now will try and start it tomorrow.

·
GoNavy!
3,077 Posts
Any luck? Did you ever take the cluster fuse out to see if the truck stayed charged over night? What about the starter?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It started fine after several days of sitting. Would the starter be warm if it was failing?

·
GoNavy!
3,077 Posts
Yes and no.. The starter gets warmjust from starting the truck. But I would take the starter to a starter/alternator shop and get it checked out.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ahhh its back again. Truck was dead this morning. I don't get it. Its been fine all this month then dead again. I mean I understand intermitant but 2 times in a month this is gonna be hard to find. DC I will try and call you later today if that works for you?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts