Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2002 powerstroke from a large diesel recycling yard on the west coast. I was told that the truck had only 140K miles and started and ran well. Compressions were checked and they were all 385 to 390 psi. That's within 5 psi but I don't know if those numbers are good or just ok for that mileage. Anyway, I wanted to check those numbers before installing the engine (a big job for an old woman, lol). However the engine is now in my engine stand (off the pallet) and I have NO idea how to turn it over without the flywheel (or starter). I'm used to working on gasoline engines and I just pull all the plugs and turn over the crank with my 20 volt Dewalt drill (NOT my impact). That will NEVER work even with all the glow plugs on this monster! HELP...

Also, I did pull the glow plugs and am not real encouraged by the looks of them. All plugs were between 0.3 and 0.5 ohms except for cylinder number three which was open. Here are close ups of all cylinders in correct position (one is lower left, eight is upper right). I plan to replace them as a set anyway using Motorcraft ZD-11's.

·
Registered
554 Posts
From what I have seen and read 385 and up on compression is good. As for turning the motor over - put a long wrench on the front of the crankshaft pulley. The glow plugs look okay to me.. that is about what mine looked like when I pulled them 10 years ago. They are in a hot, hot environment so they tend to get a bit fried.

Cj

·
PSN intsigator
6,697 Posts
Open is a bad glow plug, the rest test and look good to me

1 - 3 of 3 Posts