Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to a wreck I had awhile back the clockspring was busted or broke or something but it's not doing it's job. I was just wondering If it was something I could do or not. I'm no mechanic but I did install a steering box on my truck so I know the basic concept of taking things apart and putting it back together. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
Meh........pretty simple.

If you have a way to pop the steering wheel off, and a set of snap-ring pliers you can do it.:D

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Meh........pretty simple.

If you have a way to pop the steering wheel off, and a set of snap-ring pliers you can do it.:D
How easy is it to pop the steering wheel off? Do you need a special tool to do it?

·
Smoke Blowin Stroker
53 Posts
How easy is it to pop the steering wheel off? Do you need a special tool to do it?
Most of the time you can just loosen the nut in the center a few turns then brace your feet on the floor really good and just pull really hard while wiggling it. Most of the time they pop right off but don't forget to make a mark so you get your wheel back on straight.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I just changed mine.... I needed a puller... I had a puller for older steering wheels.... you need one with the hooks on it for our steering wheels.... its a 3 ton puller I think..... once you get the wheel off its quite simple.... just make sure you line everything up correctly.... you will see once you get it apart... and another helpful hint is make sure you remove all the palstic around the column and so the new wire can be plugged into the ignition to annoy you when you leave your keys in the truck..... it should take about 1 hour to 1.5 hours if you have all the tools you need on hand.... I had to run out and get the puller so it took me a tad bit longer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts