Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching the site, but have not found a related topic. I just installed a new ford remanufactured 4R100 in my 99 PSD and the it won't engage any gear. Everything seems normal.
1. It starts right up.
2. Fluid pressure is at the test port is just over 50 psi in park at idle. 3. Of course the drive shafts are installed (would that be funny).
4. I can hear the transfer case shift when I move from 2wd to 4wd.
5. The idle changes as I move the shifter from park to rev, to neutral, to drive.
6. Fluid level is good.
7. Wiring harness connected.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might prevent power getting to the wheels? Is it possible that the PCM needs a reflash for a newer version of the transmission? I am at a loss and welcome any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,100 Posts
It has nothing to do with the PCM. The PCM can't prevent engagements.

How much fluid did you put in it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to Ford, the remanufactured transmission comes full of fluid, including the torque converter. I checked it on the dip stick before starting the engine to ensure that was some in it. The dip stick indicated the level at the cold mark. Also there was some leakage during installation from the cooler lines. I was prepared to top it off to compensate for the replaced cooler volume, but have not gotten that far.

I guess what I am saying is that I am unsure of the exact amount in the unit, but I think there is enough to get it to engage.

·
Registered
64 Posts
YOU MIGHT HAVE A PROBLEM IN THE TRANSFER CASE, YOU COULD CHECK BY RUNNING THE ENGINE SHIFT TO REVERSE OR DRIVE AND THEN QUICKLY BACK TO PARK. YOU SHOULD HEAR SOME NOISE WHEN YOU SHIFT TO PARK IF THE OUTPUT SHAFT IS TURNING.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses-
I can't hear any noise, but the whole garage is pretty noise with the engine running. I did discover that it won't go into 4WD LOW. As I said earlier, I can hear it shift out of 4WD. Maybe it is not the transfer case that i am hearing. It is really possible for the transfer case not to transmit the power since there is no neutral? I did add another quart of fluid. Now the level is a little high, so I am sure there is enough.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,100 Posts
Are you checking the fluid level with the engine running and the trans in park?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, in park with engine running. Of course it is not at normal operating temperature. I took another look at the test port pressure. It was right at 65psi.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am beginning to think that maybe Ford didn't put fluid in the torque converter. I believe that the pump would still work and generate pressure in the trans, but the main shaft would never couple. Mark, your questions about fluid level started me down this path. Can you confirm? I can't check it until tomorrow, thankfully it is supposed to stay warm for a few days! Thanks for any input.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,100 Posts
I can confirm that what you're guessing is impossible. The pump fills the torque converter. If the engine runs and there is pressure at the test port then the torque converter is filled. If the converter wasn't filled the pump would work until it emptied the pan into the converter, then you'd have no pressure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mark, thanks for the response. Does anyone know if it is possible for the transfer case not to transfer power? I know it doesn't has a neutral position, but can it be in a state where it acts like it is neutral? I am thinking my next diagnostic move is to separate the transfer case from the transmission and see if the output shaft is rotating.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just wanted to close the loop with the forum on the current status on my issue.

I worked through Ford's Power Train Assistance Center call center. They were difficult to actually talk with because the call volume was high and eventually the system would kick you off by allowing you to leave a message. I did this for three days and never got a return call. The key for me was to call them very early in the morning.

My initial contact asked me to verify that there were no DTC codes being thrown, which there were not. I was seeing a fault on the shift solenoid A (SSAF) and on the shift solenoid B (SSBF) after a couple of seconds into the scan log. The inputs to the shift solenoids looked normal on the log. Presumably, this means they were failing the self test. Ford never asked me about the DTC scan or any other error on my followup call.

My initial contact also asked me to verify the pump operation my observing the drop in fluid level when the engine was started. I tried to explain that I had pressure measurements to prove that pump was working, but they were not interested in talking about that. Sure enough, the fluid level changes with the engine running vs. not running. As soon as the tech on the followup call learned the pump is working, he decided to send out a replacement transmission. I am now waiting to get an ETA.

With respect to the shift solenoid faults, and I am totally guessing, it doesn't matter whether they are functioning or not, there should be gear engagement. Can anyone verify this guess? If there is anything to add to this thread after I install the new unit, I will add it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am pretty sure it is just the standard version. The parts department ordered it based on the VIN. I don't do a lot of heavy towing, so didn't think about it. I was really just trying to get my truck running again quickly. We had about 24" of snow last week and I am missing the 4WD!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I got the replacement for the original remanufactured trans that was bad. I hung it off the back of the engine and when I removed the jack, I noticed that there were only 2 bolts holding the pan on. There clearly had been bolts on it at one time because the paint was damaged and scratch just as you would expect at the holes. It is not a big deal to put new bolts in, but I makes me wonder what was going on with the unit that someone removed them? I'll call the Ford Powertrain Hotline after the long weekend and find out what they want to do. I am starting to lose my good humor...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The final installment. I got the replacement for the replacement remanufactured transmission installed and all is well with the world. It works just fine. This is confirmation that the original unit I purchased was DOA. I think the probability of that is really small, but it happened. As I mentioned, the second unit was missing all but two of the pan bolts. I am guessing that in its journey to my local parts dealer that someone removed them for some reason and didn't replace them. I cannot see them not getting installed in the factory. Interestingly, there was very little leakage. However, one of the bolt holes was stripped, so I will have to helicoil it.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I would ask the dealer I bought it from for the bolts and the helicoil. Seems like it should be the least they could do. Especially if your willing to do the work. That's a real bitch changing your trans out twice

1 - 17 of 17 Posts