Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the sledscreamer 71/17 H2E. What a pain it was to get the old stainless exhaust off (only put on 2 months ago!) I had to cut it with a torch. Anyway, install went OK. Everything came off within 45min to 1 hr excluding the exhaust (took another 45-1 hr). The pedastal was a little bit of a pain, i had to bend the fuel line going to the back of the passenger side head. Up pipes were EASY. I was very surprised how easy it was. No more exhaust smell out side of the truck! (carquest 3$ gaskets). Turbo bolts were easy except 1, which was the top right bolt when looking at the front of the truck. I could not get any wrench or socket in there, so it is only finger tight. All the other ones are TIGHT. i made sure of that. CAC tubes were a snug fit, had to really push to get them on.

On to the fun part:

On the the first test drive the SES light was on, and i forgot to plug in the map sensor :doh: Second test drive all was well except now i'm setting my P1211 code in my 100 hp tune :( but a new IPR is on the way, as this one has never been cleaned/changed since 2000. Hopefully that will help some. Turbo lights around 1850-1900 RPM in my 80 tune (does that seems right?) with stock injectors and builds boost quickly after that. Peak is in the high twentys low thirty range, but i didnt stay in it for that long, as i was trying to watch for the LEOs.

To make a long story short, very happy with the turbo, sounds ALOT better than the stocker, lag isnt awful, but noticeable difference from stock with .84 housing (obviously). Everything took about 5-6 hours to install (all because of that damn exhaust).

BTW, anyone need a good stock turbo + everything else turbo related from 2000 truck :D

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
I would agree with the above statement, then again, looks like he's prepping for those stage III's.....

Dave

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Get some big fuel in there, a 71mm is huge for stock injects, heck a 64mm is large for stock, you should spool at 1200-1350, at 1850 more than half your usable RPM band is gone.

·
<----Colin Banks
3,001 Posts
He is doing it right with the turbo first. This way his stock turbo is still in good shape to sell so he has to put up with a little lag until he gets the hybrids in.

·
Registered
832 Posts
well you better post some vid's after each mod is installed. that way you can look and see how much faster each mod made you

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Better to get the air in then add the fuel, but man if my turbo lit at 1850 I would be keeping my truck in 3rd gear all the time just trying to get boost.

·
Laces Out
12,314 Posts
Get some big fuel in there, a 71mm is huge for stock injects, heck a 64mm is large for stock, you should spool at 1200-1350, at 1850 more than half your usable RPM band is gone.

i have to ask, what turbo spools at 1200 rpms? isnt usable rpm more like 1600- 3200?

·
Registered
832 Posts
what kind of boost are you pushing at WOT

·
Oooo, White Lightning !
2,921 Posts
i have to ask, what turbo spools at 1200 rpms? isnt usable rpm more like 1600- 3200?
:whs:
My stocker starts making boost (or did) at 1700-1800

What size injectors you gonna run ?
I just bought a 62/17 H2E and I think I wanna mod it to the 66mm. Im looking for around 500 RWHP

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BDP 235cc hybrids with .008 nozzles are going in. I just figured i'd do the turbo first to sell it. I still need to buy the head studs before i install the injectors, as i do not want to add to the blown headgasket list. LOL :ford:

Yes, i know this is a HUGE turbo for stock injectors. Does it sound like its spooling right for the setup i have? But hybrids are going in soon! :D

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
I'd think my 47 is good for peak boost from 2500 to 4000. Course my usable range is dictated by me.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
one setup as a compound fed by a centrifuge supercharger ...:D

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
How much for the turbo, PM with the details I,m needing one soon .

Dan

·
Registered
34 Posts
:whs:

My turbo spools at around 1800 too. Cant imagine it spooling any lower than that. 200cc and gt38r is just about perfect combo.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I've got the sledscreamer, too, with 230cc A codes, and the turbo won't light below 2400-ish. Max I've seen is around 65 psi...

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I've got the sledscreamer, too, with 230cc A codes, and the turbo won't light below 2400-ish. Max I've seen is around 65 psi...
I don't know your set up but that just seems a little bit too late to light, what housing on the exhaust do you use?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts