Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Wen i remove the pump. How do i keep the push rod from falling in the motor? Magnet or something. Partially pull out pump then grab push rod with needle nose?
Your going after a loss of power concern.... correct??

Have you actually checked the fuel pressure with a gauge??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If i bring it to a mechanic. What is the average cost to have the fuel pump replaced. I can tell injectors arent getting enough fuel because it is trying to start but smoking alot wen i turn over the motor. Ive been told that means not enough fuel to the injectors. Can the low pressure side go out and not the high pressure side or vice versa?

·
Registered
162 Posts
No i havent check pressure with a guage. Bowl is running empty and mechanical pump wouldnt pull fuel to the bowl.
you cant use a test that doesnt test something in its functional capacity. For example, if you take the water drain plug out of a 6.0 fuel pump and turn the pump on, it wont pump fuel.......but a 7.3 pump will pump fuel with the water drain open. Sometimes making a change in the operation of a componant makes it so you can test it, sometimes it doesnt. The only way to know this would be experience. Without this experience you need to test it properly.

White smoke and wants to start...This could be your PCM, Glow plugs, Fuel heater (blown fuse for the PCM), fuel pump, wiring harnesses for the injectors/glow plugs, etc, etc, etc.

You need to get the proper scan tool equipment and gauges to test for the problem or take it to someone who does IMO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Marc, obviously u are absolutely correct. I work in my truck so i think 4 days down time is enough. I going to drop it off at the mechanic in the morning. I'll post what i end up finding is the problem. Thanks everyone who chimed in to help out.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Marc, obviously u are absolutely correct. I work in my truck so i think 4 days down time is enough. I going to drop it off at the mechanic in the morning. I'll post what i end up finding is the problem. Thanks everyone who chimed in to help out.
Its tough on forums......Im used to having all the test equipment i need.....yet most people dont have access to the same luxury....

I hope you get it all figured out and that it is as reasonable as possible!!! Let us know!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Will do! Im going to start picking up tools and equipment as i can afford because i enjoy working on my own truck. This thread was my first. Forums are great. For a split second everything was working yesterday during the troubleshooting and i heard my truck run better than i have ever heard it. No rough idle. Was very smooth. Im excited to fix the fuel problem. I think this motor still has alot of life. But has deffinately had a fuel problem since ive owned it. Does anyone know where to buy new dealer only parts online for a better price?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Will do! Im going to start picking up tools and equipment as i can afford because i enjoy working on my own truck. This thread was my first. Forums are great. For a split second everything was working yesterday during the troubleshooting and i heard my truck run better than i have ever heard it. No rough idle. Was very smooth. Im excited to fix the fuel problem. I think this motor still has alot of life. But has deffinately had a fuel problem since ive owned it. Does anyone know where to buy new dealer only parts online for a better price?
i beleave there is a thread on here from sunrise ford in california for a pretty nice discounted price. Look in the vendor section.

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Put a friend under the truck and have him turn the motor buy hand ( with a bid breaker bar and socket slowly once you have the pump bolts out. and lines off) as the motor comes over the pump should push it self out at tdc of the pump lobe. that way if the lifter drops out the bottom of the pump it cant go down inside :0)

·
Registered
433 Posts
:whs:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Ok i got a new fuel pump. $606 dollars labor. They totally held me over the coals. Part cost $120 the rest was labor. I ask them to also replace the y tubes on the back of the heads, used for returning fuel to the tank. They didnt change it and because it is pinched it is seeming to cause rough idle because of the new pumps pressure. I'll be replacing it this weekend. Wouldve been much easier when the pump was off the truck.

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Ok i got a new fuel pump. $606 dollars labor. They totally held me over the coals. Part cost $120 the rest was labor. I ask them to also replace the y tubes on the back of the heads, used for returning fuel to the tank. They didnt change it and because it is pinched it is seeming to cause rough idle because of the new pumps pressure. I'll be replacing it this weekend. Wouldve been much easier when the pump was off the truck.
Are you talking about the hard lines from the fuel pump to the back of the heads? If so those are the pressure feed lines to the heads. the return lines come off the front of the heard and go into the fuel bowl.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I guess i need a new mechanic because they told me it was for the return.

one of those lines is kinked. (probably 50% flow restriction).

will it make my truck sluggish on take off ( not spuutering though) and idle slightly rough?

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
I guess i need a new mechanic because they told me it was for the return.

one of those lines is kinked. (probably 50% flow restriction).

will it make my truck sluggish on take off ( not spuutering though) and idle slightly rough?
Where did you take it? Can you post a pic of the fuel line in question?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts