Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my 6 pos chip with php tunes on it tonight. Can not believe the power increase. One question, is the chip supposed to increase boost? Truck is so much more responsive and nicer to drive but the boost still seems to be around the same. Not complaining just curious. Truck is a 96 with 3in dp, 4in exhaust no muffler of cat, 6637 intake, and egt, boost and trans temp gauges.

·
OEM Moderator
9,379 Posts
How much boost is your truck making? You might also want to try your question on http://www.powerstoke a r m y.com Just take out the spaces. It should make more boost with the chip.

·
oil burner
1,136 Posts
not a whole lot is gonna happen with stock injectors.. if theres a power increase there should be an increase in boost,if you were making 12lbs of boost before it might still only make 12lbs but start building more boost at lower rpms

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Before the chip I was making 19-20 psi around 3k. Boost comes on earlier and power is up, just was not sure is the obs trucks adjust boost through the pcm or is it a mechanical setup.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll go drive it today and take a note of the egt's

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took the truck out today, on the 80 HP setting I get just a little smoke, awesome power and egt temps are never above 1100 deg.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
not a whole lot is gonna happen with stock injectors.. if theres a power increase there should be an increase in boost,if you were making 12lbs of boost before it might still only make 12lbs but start building more boost at lower rpms
12-15 PSI is all you will make with a completely stock truck.

With a down pipe, straight pipe, intake, and chip you should be able to make anywhere from 5-30 PSI depending on throttle position and load on stock injectors.

My '97 is making 5-10 PSI during normal driving conditions. When I really get on it, it makes up to 30 PSI.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I make 22 PSI at WOT on the F250 I recently picked up. All it has is a 6637 and gauges. Not a Cali truck either. Oh and it has leaky up-pipes.

·
oil burner
1,136 Posts
mine was barely different with just a chip,but the injectors were pretty wore out too with 270k miles on em

·
BIG_RED
280 Posts
when i plug my chip in i can see as high as 34psi on wot runs. but there is no volume behind the stock turbo

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe its the gauge, with the power increase there has to be more boost.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Might want to check the intake plenums for a leak... I saw very little increase with a chip and found my passenger side intake was leaking.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea but if I was making 18 psi before the chip, now the truck feels faster I can't see something leaking. Up pipes have no soot anywhere and i checked the exhaust, no leaks. Ill check the intake plenums tonight.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I talked to kenny he said boost would not change much, just come on faster. gonna dig into it tonight. I see no soot in the engine compartment. Also, the WTS light goes out very quickly, does the glow plug relay stay on after the light goes off?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Since you have a chip, your default PCM programming was changed to the TDE1 that is used in the '97 models. The TDE1 programming doesn't use the glow plugs near as much as the older PCM codes.

That is why the glow plugs are not activating and why the WTS light isn't staying on near as long as it had before the chip.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since you have a chip, your default PCM programming was changed to the TDE1 that is used in the '97 models. The TDE1 programming doesn't use the glow plugs near as much as the older PCM codes.

That is why the glow plugs are not activating and why the WTS light isn't staying on near as long as it had before the chip.
Thank you for that

·
Registered
446 Posts

Ever since I swapped PCM's and put the chip in, the WTS light hasn't stayed on as long and I've been wondering why. Now I know, thanks! Lol :psn:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
You should see more boost...

Also, the WTS light is a dummy light.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts