Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is from the thread I started on the org, but I figured there were bound to be a few people interested in this here as well. I've read quite a few threads, and can honestly say if people are doing this, they have failed to post conclusions and pictures. This thread is on the installation of my bilstein 7100 reservoir shocks, and top gun customz adjustable track bar. While this may not sound so out of the ordinary, my trackbar balljoint has been flipped to correct the geometry due to a 12" lift. So, without further ado:

Alright-modifying the adjustable track bar took LOTS of doing, but after nearly a full day of work, I completed my front suspension overhaul. The TGC bar was bent IDENTICALLY to stock, so flipping it without re-bending was impossible. I tried to heat it up with an oxy-acetaline torch, but it had little effect. I ended up bringing it to a local steel supply/fabrication shop, he had some industrial sized equipment. I ended up straightening the bar, and reversing the bend to ensure the track bar balljoint wasn't maxed out. I think I got it perfect considering what it looked like before. My front differential is PERFECTLY centered (prior to the adjustable bar it was offset to the driver's side roughly 2". The passenger coil spring was actually RUBBING the spring bucket!), and she rides better than stock! In addition, the track bar and drag link are nearly perfectly parallel. The old shocks were trashed, one was missing the lower bushing completely, and both were blown. In addition, they were too short for the lift (I didn't realize it). They were completely maxed out, there was no additional extension available. I always complained about how terribly my truck articulated, and often ended up with a wheel off the ground going through the ditch in front of my house diagonally. The new shocks are the perfect length. I now have roughly 5" of extension available, and 7" of compression. It articulates WONDERFULLY now, It's hard to believe it's the same truck.

The TGC bar is TOP NOTCH. If you don't intend to flip the joint, it'll be hard to find a better bar. Considering I paid 200 plus shipping, it's an amazing bargain. The bends are nearly identical to stock, and it's solid steel (1.5" ish). REALLY overbuilt. With that being said, it's not the bar to buy for flipped applications. One of the bars that is nearly straight would be best, but you'll have to put a bit of a bend in it to prevent the balljoint from being maxed out. Overall, any track bar is going to require fabrication with a flipped joint.

As promised, here are the pictures of my setup. The shocks are great, the truck rides like a million bucks. Amazing how much better! The only thing I might change would be getting shocks with bushings rather than heim joints. They rotate a bit, but that isn't a huge deal. The pro-comp adapters fit wonderfully (although they had to be squished together a bit by tightening the bolts), and everything went together well. I had triple shocks on my last truck, but the old adage of quality over quantity is proven again here.

My only complaint is the new shocks exposed how much worse my rears are! The front glides over bumps, but the rear is very jarring still. I can't wait to hook her up to a trailer!

I am more than happy to explain anything I did, or take additional pictures. Just post your requests! I apologize for the novel, I just didn't want to leave anything out. I've read several of these threads,and noone ever posts a conclusion. I didn't want to leave any questions unanswered, and figured this thread could be useful for those contemplating this in the future!

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Would one of the mods/admins please move this to the 6.0 section! Although I'm sure it's identical on the newer models as well, this was all done on my 05.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I did the balljoint flip I used a brand new ford joint. I had a icon bar that I cut and than welded the end on instead of rebending the bar. everything was good for around 4000 miles than my truck had death wobble from play in the joint I couldn't find my receat. So i bought a pmf track bar you uses heim joints the truck has a much tighter feel i the steering wheel. And most important no death wobble! At 12in of lift what did you have to do to your front drive line? The drive shaft must hit the cross member

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My shaft is several millimeters from the crossmember. Just to be safe, I clearanced it a bit. Any bigger and I'd have to clock the case or lower the crossmember. My front shaft uses a custom CV joint instead of the factory cardon.

Just got a deal on some matching rear shocks! Can't wait.

Hey josh-shoot me some better pics of your truck. Mine has chrome bumpers, but I just bought a black grille, and was considering trading for painted bumpers. Not sure as I'd go red, but def. black.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So flipping the joint to the top requires a new track bar?
I flipped it initially and used the stock bar, but as it reverses the bend, it offsets the differential significantly, and puts stress on the bushing. It can be done until you get the correct bar however.

·
Stock Sucks!
330 Posts
Does the icon bar require modification before its flipped?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts