Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am attempting to get the up pipes installed but I swear there is not enough room to put the pipes in. My up pipes were replaced when the transmission was swapped out so there was plenty of room to work. Does anybody have any ideas on how to get the pipes installed? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2002 F450 SD 7.3L 4R100
77 Posts
You have to pull the intake spider and turbo/pedistle. There is a lot of room once they are out and the cac pipes and down pipe are free to shove to the sides. There are several videos of the install online. Watch one or two and you will have a better idea. They go in form the top. It's a good idea to have new o-rings for the turbo and pedistle, and a new up-pipe v-band clamp and DP clamp if they are damaged or hard to deal with. Good opportunity to replace bad intake couplers, clamps, and the intake inserts if you need them while the spider is off.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I just finished pulling another vendors bellowed up pipes off my 95 with a ZF6 swap (going T4). The trick there was to pull the pipes out the top after disconnecting the Y behind the turbo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I have the pretty much everything removed. I cut out the passenger side pipe and removed the collector. I am unable to even get the drivers side pipe out. It just seems like there is not enough space between the up pipes and the transmission. I am going to remove the cross member and try to jack up the tranny to see if that works. Thanks again for the suggestions.
Automotive tire Personal protective equipment Gas Motor vehicle Metal

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is that a swapped zf6?
What year is the truck?
NO. My truck is a 96 and had a ZF 5. I remember when the mechanic installed it he said he had to use a jack and push up some sheet metal under the front seats to make clearance for the tranny. I also just removed the cross member and tried to jack the tranny up and lower it down and I still cannot get the drivers side up pipe out. The passenger side came out because I cut the pipe.

·
Registered
87 Posts
NO. My truck is a 96 and had a ZF 5. I remember when the mechanic installed it he said he had to use a jack and push up some sheet metal under the front seats to make clearance for the tranny. I also just removed the cross member and tried to jack the tranny up and lower it down and I still cannot get the drivers side up pipe out. The passenger side came out because I cut the pipe.
Thats your problem, the 6 speeds are way bigger, like 3" taller and just larger overall

And you cant use any 97 stuff with 99 i believe manifolds are different, up-pipes, the collector and turbo are all diff

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info. Dang, that would be a really easy solution to my problem. I am going to take take off the drivers side exhaust manifold off. That should allow me to fit that up pipe in. I think I can get the passenger side pipe in by removing the down pipe but I will probably just replace that manifold as well. Thanks again.

·
Registered
272 Posts
When I did the ZF6 swap, I spaced the trans mount down about 1" rather than beat the floor up. Perhaps that makes a difference for clearance on the up pipes. I also put new cab mounts on right before pulling the up pipes so there may be some clearance gained there too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so I am unable to remove the downpipe on the passenger side. It is an MBRP 3 inch downpipe and goes into a 4 inch exhaust. I have the clap removed but I am unable to pull out the downpipe. Any suggestions on how to get that DP out?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts