Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
OBS Roller
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If any fellow members have followed me then you may know that I will be buying my uncles 2011 F250 White CCSB Lariat. It's the pickup behind him when they are talking to my uncle Rodney Brown @ 2:05 in the following video on Fords website, 2012 Ford Super Duty Truck | We Own Work: See Our Heavy-Duty Work Trucks | Ford.com
He says its the best pickup he has ever owned. Now back to subject. My other uncle has a 2008 F350 SRW V10 6 speed that we use on the farm. He would really like a diesel and I am trying to convince him to make the jump. The only thing keeping him from doing it is the fact that there is no longer a manual transmission :doh: (hes had very poor luck with automatics). I have found a cab and chassis 2011 F350 6.7 for 31,000 with a trade he wound be looking at around 10-12K difference. My question: What are everybody's thoughts on these new trannys? Has anybody ran into problems? I just want to be sure before I persuade him into buying on. :ford:
Thanks in advance,
Stefan

·
Registered
520 Posts
I don't know how to really start. The Torqshift trannies are extremely tough. They more often than not, outlived the 6.0 and 6.4 motors they were mated to. They are hard to kill. The 6r's seem to be off to a great start behind the 6.7s.

·
OBS Roller
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know how to really start. The Torqshift trannies are extremely tough. They more often than not, outlived the 6.0 and 6.4 motors they were mated to. They are hard to kill. The 6r's seem to be off to a great start behind the 6.7s.
Thats great to hear. I didnt know if maybe the cab and chassis models were built any differently or not. I had heard they were having issues with those, but I didnt know for sure. I cant recall where i heard they were having problems.

·
Registered
284 Posts
If its the same C&C engine that the 450-550 share, (300 hp, no exhaust brake option) I would NOT purchase it. The engines have significant issues that have yet to be resolved.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Valves dropping, turbo issues(But I think that's only on 550s).

·
Registered
284 Posts
Valves dropping, turbo issues(But I think that's only on 550s).
its on all of the 300 hp. engines... They have a different turbo, no exhaust brake option, NOT the pickup engines. The only first hand experience with the pickup engine is a friend that has a 2012 that lost the turbo at 4700 miles. Other than that, the fuel mileage on it is horrible when pulling. Apparently his is the exception to the rule, everyone on this site gets like 2000 miles per gallon.. !!!

·
brandon
778 Posts
mine had turbo, injector and pcm issues before I traded it off

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your uncle will get better fuel mileage out of the 6.7. On a 3000 mile trip in August pulling my 5er I averaged 11.8 and that was hand figured.. However the lie - meter registered 11.9, so for a change the lie o meters on the new trucks are somewhat accurate..

Do your uncle a favor and talk him into a 6.7,, he won't regret it... I-BEAM

·
Registered
474 Posts
Do him a real favor and talk him into a ford with a blown motor then swap a cummins in it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Problem is finding a REASONABLY priced 12V!!! lol... I recently purchased one for $200.00 complete running and in great condition. It came out of a Komatzu loader.

·
OBS Roller
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IMHO a reasonably priced one would be $1000 if it was runnable but was in need of a rebuild. OR $2000-3000 for a complete donor dodge with less then 200K. I wouldn't care if the Dodge was rusted through. I think that would be a reasonable price. The problem is I live in a very rural part of the country and old high mileage pickups bring a ton. I seen a 1997 F-250 7.3 with 242,000 miles on the clock and they were asking $9,000. That a little to much for me with that many miles. Farmers make a huge demand for old reliable pickups around here.

·
Registered
520 Posts
IMHO a reasonably priced one would be $1000 if it was runnable but was in need of a rebuild. OR $2000-3000 for a complete donor dodge with less then 200K. I wouldn't care if the Dodge was rusted through. I think that would be a reasonable price. The problem is I live in a very rural part of the country and old high mileage pickups bring a ton. I seen a 1997 F-250 7.3 with 242,000 miles on the clock and they were asking $9,000. That a little to much for me with that many miles. Farmers make a huge demand for old reliable pickups around here.
I have been working on a 96 3500 x/cab 2wd dually and I really think the guy just wants to get out from under it. Truck runs, but is a complete turd. Haven't gotten around to diagnosing it but I bet he would just sell it. Has 176k on it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've had shifting issues with my tranny since about 3000 miles. The flash didn't work and now I have a vehicle data recorder in the truck to try and pinpoint the issue. The Ford dealership has been really good to me and even told me that Ford is having a pretty serious problem with the torque converters and possibly valve bodies in the transmissions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts