Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So sometimes when I accelerate from a stop sign or stop light, nothing crazy just normal on the skinny pedal it feels like the truck is hesitant or missing. I've noticed when it does this black smoke comes out, not a lot though. It only does it in first gear and never while at cruising speeds. The truck is mostly stock to my knowledge. When I bought it it already had a CAI and exhaust put on it, don't know if it was ever chipped or still is. It doesn't drive like it is anyway. You guys ever expeirenced this or know what it is?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I have heard that rev x will make that go away. Does yours start realy hard in the morning even though it might be 70 degrees. Mine will only make like 450 rpm for the first 5 or 6 seconds. Plus when I'm passing a car I can also tell it's sticking or missing one cause I can hear it echo at full throttle

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
So sometimes when I accelerate from a stop sign or stop light, nothing crazy just normal on the skinny pedal it feels like the truck is hesitant or missing. I've noticed when it does this black smoke comes out, not a lot though. It only does it in first gear and never while at cruising speeds. The truck is mostly stock to my knowledge. When I bought it it already had a CAI and exhaust put on it, don't know if it was ever chipped or still is. It doesn't drive like it is anyway. You guys ever expeirenced this or know what it is?
This sounds more like the EGR valve gummed up and sticking. Try pulling it out and cleaning.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine does the same thing. I have heard that rev x will make that go away. Does yours start realy hard in the morning even though it might be 70 degrees. Mine will only make like 450 rpm for the first 5 or 6 seconds. Plus when I'm passing a car I can also tell it's sticking or missing one cause I can hear it echo at full throttle
No mine maintains a pretty high/normal idle in the morning or after sitting for awhile. It does sometimes crank right up when it's cold, or hasn't ran in awhile and sometimes when it's hot it'll take two or three seconds to crank up but I've heard that's normal for 6.0's

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This sounds more like the EGR valve gummed up and sticking. Try pulling it out and cleaning.
Right on, I have little to no mechanical skills. Is this difficult or should I leave it up to professionals? I change my oil and fuel filters and that is about the extent of my under the hood expeirence!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Its not difficult. Do a search for EGR cleaning and I'm sure you could find a how-to writeup on the forum.

·
PSN Veteran
2,983 Posts
:whs: its not that bad, if you can do your oil, you can pull the EGR valve and clean it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks alot dave, you didn't have to do that!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Couldn't I just unplug that wiring harness and that's essentially the same thing as a delete? Granted I'll probably have a CEL on all the time.

·
Diesel Sled Head
1,101 Posts
could be the start of a turbo sticky also. just unplugging the egr may not fix it if its not fully closed to begin with. A sticky turbo can cause enough backpressure to force the egr open.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts