Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been covered but I'm not finding what I want with the search.

I have a basically stock truck with a 3" DP. The question is whats next, stage 1's or a chip? I'd rather not do the chip and then have to redo it in two months when I do the injectors. I'd rather do the injectors first, then the chip.

The IDM will have the resistor mod done in a week or so, as soon as I recieve the resistor.

What should I expect if I do stage 1's first?

If I do the chip first, what kind of gains should I expect?

Thanks

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
if you do stage ones with out a chip then you wont see much.

do a chip first.... you dont have to redo anything but to get the full amount out of them a reburnt chip is reccomended. also what trans do you have cause a stock clutch and TCwill not last.

·
Gone Broke
1,072 Posts
:whs:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I'm not aware of any mods to the trans but I really don't know, I've only had the trucks for about a month or so. It shifts firm and the convertor locks solid. I suppose it could have a kit in it but I have no way to know. I believe it was a reman and I do know it was put in by the local Ford dealership.

Whats the best way to make it live? I'm under the impression the chips with custom (beans) tuning go along way with helping the transmission survive. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Custom tunes can be made to help make that tranny survive but your going to have to go out of your way to help it as well. Tranny cooler and a shift kit should help out.

·
SLOW LEARNER
739 Posts
Tymar intake, Then guages , Then Chip ,Then IC , Then Injectors

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
1.intake
2.exhaust
3.gauges
4.trans mods
5.chip
6.intercooler
7.17* or eqvaulant hpop
8.more trans mods
9.injectors
10.turbo

thats how I feel it should be done if your gonna do it
I guess I was a little misleading in my first post. I didn't really consider an air filter change and gauges to be what I would call mods. I guess thats why I didn't mention them.

I have a 6637 intake setup and gauges in place as well as a 3" downpipe and a cat delete pipe. I assumed the cat delete was pretty much standard with the down pipe.

Anyway, I (wrongly)thought you'd get a little something out of the injectors without programming, so in an effort to make the transmission live I'm going to get a chip, a big tranny cooler, a shift kit and call it good for now. Maybe eventually an intercooler if I have EGT issues and I can find one to fab up for a decent price. Edit: suggestions for a good shift kit?

Thanks for the guidance guys, I appreciate it,
even from Dirt_99 :rolleyes:

·
Gone Broke
1,072 Posts
:whs: Transgo Tugger shif-kit is what i had in my 96 i just sold. i liked it and it works

1 - 16 of 16 Posts