Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
picked up 8 used AD injectors after pulling solenoids off, 4 out of the 8 i can get.002 gauge on all four corners poppet valve the rest 2 sides only am i missing something ? guess i have a set of cores :pointlaugh:

·
Registered
189 Posts
yah, sounds like you got a set of cores, anything .002 or less is considered worn out.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
yah, sounds like you got a set of cores, anything .002 or less is considered worn out.
Can you fix this, if it is still good for a core, sounds like someone can.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Yes i know it can be fixed. But not how. DIY injectors hints about it being able to be repaired you would just have to find out what needs to be machined to regain the clearance, and find a local shop to do it.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
woud the machining be so that a shim of a known thichness is going to be installed, seems to me the poppet valve / seat , needs to be shimmed?

·
Registered
723 Posts
That i don't know. I havn't gotten to that part yet, so i can't help. And i have yet to have one apart to figure out what would need changed to match them up again.

I guess this is another one of those deep dark injector secret's and no one will tell.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you look at a exploded view of a injector some how the poppet valve needs to be raised up to raise the armature or shim the spring on top of the p.valve it looks like everything else is fixed externally of the body.i cant imagine shimming below the amplifier/piston:confused::shrug:

·
Registered
723 Posts
i wasn't aware you could shim. Not saying you can't, but just saying i don't know. But on www.diy-injectors.com go to the FAQ's and injector TECH part and then click on the link to check poppet clearances. Maybe this will give you some help. I know the once place it says it has to be machined

From DIY injectors

EXAMPLE Injector #1: You take measurements of 'A' = .003", 'B' = .0014", and 'C' = .000". It would appear that the Poppet has worn into it's upper seat more than it's lower seat. Specially machined Poppet components are needed to correct this.

The more i read this, the more i want to buy a mini mill and start playing.. maybe tax refund time will allow me to purchase some tool toys

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont know that shims are the answer but some how the armerature has to be raised a few thousanths, when i read machining i assume material is removed so either shims or a new componet maybe a spring, i dont know either just guessing

there is thread on DIY injectors in the 94-97 upgrade & aftermarkret , jim says machining the adapter plate, and others say this is incorrect but no explanation as to why not

·
Banned
780 Posts
JHILL get ahold of hotwheels on here GEOFF while some may think hes an a-hole he knows his stuff when it comes to injectors. he fixed joes injectors before they went in.. it wasnt the injectors fault it was orings and not being torqued down properly so dont hold that against him.

·
Registered
723 Posts
i dont know that shims are the answer but some how the armerature has to be raised a few thousanths, when i read machining i assume material is removed so either shims or a new componet maybe a spring, i dont know either just guessing

there is thread on DIY injectors in the 94-97 upgrade & aftermarkret , jim says machining the adapter plate, and others say this is incorrect but no explanation as to why not

I'm having no luck finding that thread. do you have the link?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts