Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a write up on changing out injectors? I have the engine out of my F550 and have a set of reman injectors to go in. I need a step by step on how to do it and what to look for while i am in there. never had a valve cover of one before so it has got to be super simple format:doh:

·
Road Hammer
628 Posts
One of the aftermarket vendors had a write up on their site I believe. I'll keep trying to find it.

They're simple to remove and install, hell if I can change mine out successfully in a day, pretty much anyone with eyes and hands shouldn't have a problem.

·
Beef
1,565 Posts
Take your time, do not get in a hurry.
make sure the big 81 pin harness is disconnected. take all the glow plugs out when you install the new injectors so when you crank the motor you don't bend or break anything.
I'd recommend having a battery charger on standby as well. cycle the key A LOT to get the air out of the fuel lines but keep the 81 pin disconnected. if you have air in the line and the PIN plugged in, the injectors will fire w/o fuel which is not good for the tips and besides you don't want to start getting fuel in the cylinder until the fuel rail is full.
i could go on and on.
PM myself or others and maybe do a search on injector replacments for other ideas.

·
Registered
20 Posts
get a short 2x4 and a hammer to make sure the injectors are fully seated and use it as level to make sure all 4 on each side are all the way down and level with each other. after you install the new injectors turn the engine over by hand with a breaker bar and socket with all 8 glow plugs removed to purge the cylinders of excess oil and fuel that ran down into the cylinders when you pulled the injectors. If you crank it with the key you will shoot oil all over the freakin place! I ruined a friends shirt that way the first time i did injectors on a 7.3! Have some orings for the cran case vent box on the driver side valve cover or a tube of grey silicone. ooohhh and dont lay your extension down on the battery!

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THE ENGINE IS OUT OF THE TRUCK. But thanks

·
super tuner
164 Posts
hey there could be a battery laying around you never know :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Here is a Good tip!

Glow plug replacement on a 7.3L Power Stroke is a delicate process and isn't as straightforward as you might think. A deep, 10mm socket was used to break each glow plug loose, but eventually the socket will hit the neighboring rocker-arm cup. In order to unthread the glow plug the rest of the way, we used an 11mm socket, which allowed us just enough clearance and wiggle room to get the job done.
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/1012dp_prepare_your_diesel_for_winter/index.html

Travis T

1 - 11 of 11 Posts