Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background-I’m running Elite Engineering’s 205cc injectors that were made from new injectors (Ford new, so ford remanufactured), Destroked pistons with Elite’s Competition Piston Rings, a Fuelab fuel pump, and a Dahl150 water/fuel separator. The Power Balance was done in Elite’s Tq-Tow tune and the Relative Compression Test in their Hi-Power tune.
After swapping the turbo exhaust housing back to the .70 housing I am now having some injector issues that must be dealt with. The idle is real rough and choppy, at times shaking the cab! I have ran buzz tests on the injectors when they were cold soaked, cold, warm, hot, and when the engine is running like this and every injector passes every time. I am wondering if any of you guys can look at the following graphs and verify what I think I see- that #1 and #7 cylinder’s injectors are having problems. When running the Power Balance I can turn off those 2 injectors and the engine basically sounds and acts as it does with them turned on. (see graph) I have no experience with the injectors acting up so I’m hoping some one here does and can read the graphs and give me some advice on which injectors I need to pull to have fixed. Also if you look at the Relative Compression Test the only cylinder to show any difference is cylinder #2 at a 1% difference. So taking that into consideration that means that it’s not just injector o-rings that are causing the problem injectors to act up right- it would have to be the spools, correct?
Any and all help on this would be appreciated.

(Printer ran out of color ink for this one)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yea- the only DTC's it's throwing are for the VGT Turbo and the EGR which neither are on the truck. It also has a P0671 Glow plug #1 circuit failure and that's it, nothing to do with the injectors.
On Demand codes:
P0046- turbo boost control solenoid
P0405- EGR sensor low
P1408- EGR Flow out of Self-Test Range
P1000- OBDII Drve
U0306- FICM software (Tuned FICM)
Continuous codes are:
P0046- turbo boost control solenoid
P0405- EGR sensor low
P0671- Cylinder No 1-Glow Plug circuit
P1000- OBDII Drve
U0306- FICM software (Tuned FICM)

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
guess this goes to show you can have issues with any injector builder and new or remanned. Good luck with the fix. Sounds to me like you should pull those two injectors and send them to elite.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
my new injectors are doing the same thing. mine actually threw a contribution code on #6. i sent it in last week. it should be back here soon. tadd is swamped over there. when i got my 205s from them i had to send 2 back. then later on i had to replace a spool valve. it just happens man.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They never get any better when they are warm?
No, they don't get better while idling and I didn't go out and drive in the tunes because of how it was idling. Now I do have a tune by Eric that they aren't as bad.

As for the injectors- So is it the general consensus that the problem is with #1 & #7 cylinders/injectors? I've had these since 6/2008 and they weren't stored in oil like I guess they should've been. I'm probably going to send all 8 back in to be looked at and gone thru just to be safe. I just need to mark the trouble injectors.

didnt you just get a build engine???? How come you got all this trouble then.
amarillo250- I'm really not sure I follow you. I'm not sure what you've been reading or what you've been told but other than my injector woes (installation torque error and now 2 questionable injectors) and a leaky custom up pipe there hasn't been any "all this trouble". Now I did have trouble re-installing my 62/70 turbo but I would have had that same problem build or no build due to big hands and design flaw. There's absolutely nothing wrong with my built engine ;)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would swap ficms to rule out some bad drivers. Just because it passes a buzz test doesn't rule out a ficm.
FICM has been swapped- still running bad

·
Registered
8 Posts
Take the injector apart and see if it is ground up.......

To me it sounds like all injector issues. No one I MEAN NO ONE can be perfect in this area, some have a better luck than others...

But for real injectors are a very touchy part. I am sure they will get you taken care of eventually.

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
FICM has been swapped- still running bad
Easier to verify that you don't have a dead driver than yanking the valve covers. I recently had a ficm that would only fire 5 cylinders. It had 48 volts, but would not fire the injector and no codes for circuits.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I'm going to go ahead and pull the injectors. From the IDS sessions that I have done and shared with Eric @ IDP with his tuning we have came to the conclusion that it's more than likely an injector/s that's stuck open. I have 8 stock injectors that I had flow tested yesterday that passed with flying colors so once I get the 205s pulled and flowed then I'm thinking about swapping out the control valve bodies from the stockers to the 205s myself :shrug: That or I may send them in to Elite but as of right now I'm leaning towards just doing it myself. :doh: Seriously

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Easier to verify that you don't have a dead driver than yanking the valve covers. I recently had a ficm that would only fire 5 cylinders. It had 48 volts, but would not fire the injector and no codes for circuits.
^Agreed. :whs:

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
Well, I'm going to go ahead and pull the injectors. From the IDS sessions that I have done and shared with Eric @ IDP with his tuning we have came to the conclusion that it's more than likely an injector/s that's stuck open. I have 8 stock injectors that I had flow tested yesterday that passed with flying colors so once I get the 205s pulled and flowed then I'm thinking about swapping out the control valve bodies from the stockers to the 205s myself :shrug: That or I may send them in to Elite but as of right now I'm leaning towards just doing it myself. :doh: Seriously
If it never gets better, I wouldn't waste the time with the spool valves. If the pin in the hole has backed out, which would potentially explain the destroyed plunger.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually it doesn't idle chitty like that all the time. Like I said this was Tadd's tune and he tried to make adjustments for Eric's FICM tuning I believe. Eric's tune's graph is nowhere near this bad looking when it's at it's worse.

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
Actually it doesn't idle chitty like that all the time. Like I said this was Tadd's tune and he tried to make adjustments for Eric's FICM tuning I believe. Eric's tune's graph is nowhere near this bad looking when it's at it's worse.
There is some cold fueling compensation that the computer tries to do as well in the background. Individual pulsewidth control to try to "fix" a drop of rpm contribution of 30-40 is way outside of the scope of what it was designed for.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There is some cold fueling compensation that the computer tries to do as well in the background. Individual pulsewidth control to try to "fix" a drop of rpm contribution of 30-40 is way outside of the scope of what it was designed for.
I'm talking about on the manual injector turn off's graph where the fueling compensation is turned off.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
You screwing with Elite's injectors.....I think that might affect your warranty with them...just sayin...:badidea:

Just throw your stock injectors in, and send the 205's to Elite for repair.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.