Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Diesel Sled Head
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing injectors an a customer truck all 8 on an 04 with 156,000 miles. fuel pressure was low and every injector had the bolts loose that hold the solenoid on the top. A few of them fell off and i have not been able to locate 2 of the nuts. They are not in the area of the head to the best of my searching ablilty(magnet and borescope). I found two of them that had fell off. Will be changing oil to see if they are on the plug. What do you guys recommend at this stage? If they are not to be found? I have heard instances of them ending up in the oil pump and taking out the pump/cover later down the road.

·
Registered
266 Posts
theres another thread or two on here abot this and most guys say it isnt an issue because the object that gets dropped is usualy to big to fit through the screen on the pickup tube, others will say it should have the pan pulled and objects removed i dont think i would worry about it myself.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I would try hard to find them. Pull drain plug and use a flex magnet. Cover your butt and let the customer know. I do not think they would go past the oil p/u screen. Were these rebuilt injectors or the factory installed?

·
Diesel Sled Head
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as I know these were the original from the factory.

·
Registered
646 Posts
theres another thread or two on here abot this and most guys say it isnt an issue because the object that gets dropped is usualy to big to fit through the screen on the pickup tube, others will say it should have the pan pulled and objects removed i dont think i would worry about it myself.

Yeah theres a couple guys that dropped the torx bit on here that are running the trucks after a couple years or so with ZERO issues. Good Luck. And really its's not your fault anyways so just tell the customer and they should understand.

·
Diesel Sled Head
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I clearly stated to him what had happened. He asked if it was my fault I said no. He said put it together lets run it, understanding. Out of 8 injectors 3 nuts had fell off and about 6 solenoids were loose. So off she goes. Had him sign the RO stating he knows of the unable to locate missing pieces. These nut are very small.

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
they get caught on the upper oil pan, aka windage tray and cant get em out... just like the HPOP ball bearings... Ive never had luck... although I have always found the nuts... they have always ended up in the freeze plugs in the head right below the injector

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,329 Posts

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
Only thing the drain plug magnet has helped me with is when lifters go.... As soon as I dropped it I condemned motor...

·
Diesel Sled Head
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found one of them in the freeze plug by the injector. The other two were unable to locate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts