Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed stage 1 injectors into my truck with swamp tunes. I only have 30 miles since the install and it smokes excessive white and blue tint smells like fuel. My question is, will this work its self out or is there a problem with the install? Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Is it just a puff or chugging smoke?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a chug, plus has a knock im going to change oil and coolant, because it could probably use it. Could thin oil cause the knock?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Have you gotten out and driven the truck hard yet? It might take some more miles to work out the bugs... Sometimes up to 100 miles..

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Changed oil and coolant, and it seemed to cure the misfire/knock. It still stumbles at ideal and still smokes excessive. No I have not drove it hard yet, it was my first cup/injector install and I guess im kinda scared to drive it hard with it smoking like that. I drove it like a grandma for 30 miles.

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
may have not got a cup seated properly in the head

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, noticed smoke coming from oil fill cap and dipstick tube in a steady stream. Could I just have that much blow by?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If a cup didn't get seated properly would I have to replace the cup or just tap it in more?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Your going to have to replace it again. Need to get sealant around bottom of cup.

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
Put a straight edge down the solenoids of the injectors on both sides. That will tell you if there's not one seated properly.

What they mean buy beating on it and going a 100 miles is when you dropped injectors that let a lot of air into the system. Well sometimes it take a while to work that air out.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Put a straight edge down the solenoids of the injectors on both sides. That will tell you if there's not one seated properly.

What they mean buy beating on it and going a 100 miles is when you dropped injectors that let a lot of air into the system. Well sometimes it take a while to work that air out.
I would do this. Check them with a straight edge... If they look like they are seated properly, get out and drive it like you stole it...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I should check the seating of the injector first, and when should I have the chip turned up when gettin the air out? I looked at some youtube videos it is the same amount of smoke as alot of other startups. Can the smoke last throught the 100miles and it doesn't seem like coolant burning, smells like fuel and stings the nose and throat.

·
Lots to learn
374 Posts
Is the smoke level the same from right after the install vs now when you have xx (how many miles on it now) miles currently?

You may have a bunch of unburnt fuel and oil in your exhaust manifolds that hasn't burned up yet. Have you had the truck up to full temp, and seen EGTs up in the 700/800 range for 10-20 seconds....that should be enough to burn it out. You'll need to get that ICP up (pedal->) for 5-7 seconds at a time to build enough ICP if you have a weak stock pump.

Check your coolant for fuel contamination. Check your oil for coolant contamination.

If you decide to pull the VCs to do the straight edge check...buy/rent a compression tester....pull the glow plugs...and run a compression test while you're in there...you should be able to spot the bad cup. Plus that'll give you a warm fuzzy feeling after you reinstall that one cup that may not be seated....before putting it all back together again, and "hoping" you got it right.

Good luck.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the advice I may put on some miles check the coolant and oil then decide if i should pull the vc's again.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So as I was driving to the shop to pull the valve covers, truck started smokings less until it started to spew white smoke also had coolant shooting from somewhere inside the engine. :doh:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tried to crank it over after I had shut it off and it was hydro locked, so ima pull the valve covers bar the engine back and look for the bad cup hopefully not a head gasket.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts