Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than pulling it apart, is there any way to tell which is wrong?

I had #7 injector replaced due to a white smoke issue in the AM and a P0281 error (insufficient contribution #7). Smoke smelled like fuel. The shop said they replaced the injector cup as well.

A few days later, the problem was back. It's gotten worse and worse, with the motor smoking, missing, and running rough until it warms up.

I've also noticed that the level is slowly rising in the degas bottle, presumably with fuel because it doesn't look like oil, and it's not using any oil. It's not puking yet.

So the two options for what is wrong (I think) are injector cup (maybe installed wrong) or cracked head (not sure if a head gasket will do this?). I can afford to do an injector cup, but not new heads right now. Before someone tears into it, I want to be sure I can afford to finish the fix.

I really don't want to have to park this thing for a year or more and save up for new heads...it's a work truck and I really need to get it back on the road if possible.

Any help or advice appreciated.

·
Diffrent Strokes
350 Posts
Is it possible for you to do a compression test and maybe do a pressure test on the cooling system? Im not sure how a diesel compression test will work out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It passed a compression test. Injector cup looks good on visual inspection. Is there any other way that fuel could be getting into the coolant?

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,200 Posts
Head gasket won't do it - a cracked head will.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New cup went in today. Shop says old one didn't look like it was sealed around the top edge like the others, so maybe it was leaking around the rim.

Let's hope this fixes the problem, cause I really don't wanna have to park it for a year while I save up for new heads.

·
7.3 Enthusiast
682 Posts
I was leaking fuel into my coolant as well last year and decided to replace the injector cups. Once I had them all removed I scoured them all and couldnt find a even a hairline crack so it had my worried but I forged on replacing the cups.

No more fuel in my coolant as of today...*knock on wood*

Hope it works out for you.

*Edit I see you only replaced one injector cup. I would've just done them all to rule that out on all cylinders. But I do, do them myself so the cost isn't bad for me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
*Edit I see you only replaced one injector cup. I would've just done them all to rule that out on all cylinders. But I do, do them myself so the cost isn't bad for me.
It's an E van not a truck, so it's pretty awful trying to get to the cups. The guy was thinking that to do them all it would be cheaper to pull the motor out.

Since it didn't have the problem before the last shop messed with the #7 cup, I'm hoping this will fix it. Combined with the code for #7, it's high odds that if the problem is a cup, that's the one. It would be a 12.5% chance even shooting in the dark.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts