Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a '97 250HD 4x4 SuperCab with a blown head gasket. I've replaced the Head-gasket, and the truck ran great, but then it started overheating. Long story short, I've got water entering the #1 cylinder. I pulled the injector and the cup looks fine (as it did when the head was off), but when I pressurize the coolant I can see a stream of water passing the injector opening, flowing into the cylinder (leak from the outer part of cup?). If an injector cup were to "back out" would the symptoms match? I can't see a reason water would pass the injector cup "hole" if the leak were the HG.

FYI: I did a coolant pressure check after replacing the head and all was well. Truck had been sitting for a few years and I think this might be one of those fix-it-break-it chains where I go about fixing things which causes a new link to be the weak point in the system. Grrr. I just don't want to take the head off again if I don't have to.

·
Drive it like ya stole it
186 Posts
Hmmm...don't think it "backed out", the injector bottoms out on the cup which would mean the injector would have had to have been backed out as well. Was there fuel in your coolant? When you started having problems?

·
Registered
671 Posts
If your seeing it at the cup your head gasket should be fine. Check your coolant and see if it smells like diesel, if so you've got a cup problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I drove diesel busses too long, because I have a hard time smelling diesel fuel anymore :( . The coolant always had a "light" fuel smell, but I figured it might have been residual, I've been running straight water because the truck sat for a year and no doubt could use a couple flushes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A follow up for the finish. I pulled/replaced the cup and all looked well, no noticeable pitting or cracking, makes me think it backed out. I also noticed the injector was missing it's copper washer on the tip. So my theory is that the gap left due to a missing washer gave allowance for the cup to back out. New cup/sleeve and injector washer installed and now I'm back driving the truck and all is working well...so far.

·
Registered
326 Posts
i had one come loose when i pulled the injectors just had to re torque the injectors after i ran it a little bit..seems to be fine now..just an idea incase there is a next time..

·
Drive it like ya stole it
186 Posts
So my theory is that the gap left due to a missing washer gave allowance for the cup to back out.
Yeah that makes sense, those are some pretty thick washers. Glad ya got it figured out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts