Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, still having problems with the truck not starting. Is it possible to check to see if I've got a clogged injector(s), without having to replace them? Would they throw a code if the truck doesn't start?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Thank you for the prompt response.
Act like that and you wont get help.

What are some of the symtoms it was having? Did it die while driving or just wont start back?

Ive never heard of a clogged injector. Just stuck ones.

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
:whs: Next time, try just bumping it to the top!!!
To answer your question NO. You have other problems. Have you read the thread on common no starts? Have you done any test? If so what have you done? Do you have a way to scan it? Does it smoke while cranking? What does your oil look like? Puking?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I apologize for that. It's been 2 weeks now and I'm still no further along with fixing this truck than I was when I found it wouldn't start. I have gone over every check list of possible problems. I've done code readings, Voltage readings, fluid levels, circuit board rebuilds. Checked wires for chaffing or being loose. Thinking it was the FICM initially proved to be wrong. ICP voltage is correct. It seems like every suggestion people have is a "common problem". I just don't know what to do without throwing a fist full of money into a 7K$ truck.
It was parked over the weekend. Now it wont start. Did have a little bit of a sluggish acceleration a couple of time during my travel home from work on thursday but it was fine on friday.
Again sorry for the sarcasm.

·
Registered
124 Posts
What did you use to read codes and did you get any ?

I

·
0 Posts
Could be fuel pressure, could be an oil pressure problem.. IPR, HPOP, HPO leak.. You need to scan it to find out..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
-Ok, to read codes I, do realize that i need a more sophisticated reader but either way it should throw a code. I just bought a basic reader from Advanced Auto. It was cheap. Probably where I went wrong.
-Truck does not start at all. So I'm assuming you mean cold start. But I do live in FL so everything is hot. ha ha.
-FICM voltage is reading 47.72.
-ICP plug is reading .9v-1.12v
-Fuel pressure I couldn't get exact but it is above 40psi. Again I couldn't get it perfect because of a small air leak I could hear coming from my connection. I drilled and tapped (yes with the cap off) the top fuel cap, and screwed in a pressure gauge. A small price to pay (for the cap) for potentially a huge step in diagnosis.
-The exhaust is NOT spitting any smoke. But the truck's batteries are running low so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.
I have NOT checked the HPOP. I am not sure how.

Again I truly do apologize for my rudeness. I've got a lot going on with the Navy right now. I'm trying to get this thing running in a week so I can make it to my next duty station on time.

I

·
0 Posts
My guess would be your IPR is bad, Get someone with a scanner like an AE so your not guessing..

·
psn high miler
96 Posts
I know ether is bad for your truck,
But if it starts with an ether shot it is probably the stc fitting
On the hpop causing the problem
If it does not start and run on ether, it could be the ipr

I

·
0 Posts
What is an AE?
Auto enginuity is a scan tool.. The best way to pin point what is wrong with your truck is to scan it and replace only the part that's bad instead of guessing and spending money on things that are not the problem.. We can give you some ideas what we think it could be but we are guessing..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for your honesty. I will take it to someone with an AE then. It's just too much hassle to chase around.

·
<sideways skyscraper
471 Posts
To me it sounds like you have a high pressure oil issue. My first guess would be a blown out IPR but there are also a number of things that also could cause a no start on the high pressure side. The annoying thing about our trucks is that there is no real way to tell 100% where the leak is, your gona have to pull everything apart to see. I'd start with the IPR and check if the screen is damaged or sucked in. I'm assuming this isn't an 03 truck so next I would pull the valve covers to check the rail plugs and stand pipe o-rings to see if any of them are damaged. If you still can't find anything then I'd pull the pump out and check the stc fitting.

EDIT: Also are you getting low pressure oil? I'd check that before anything else.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'm assuming by checking the low pressure oil I have to simply check the oil filter housing on top of the engine? If so then yes there is oil in the filter housing.

The truck is an 04 built in Oct 03.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I had the truck towed to a local Diesel shop and they ran the diagnosis on it. What a relief that it was just a cam positioning sensor. However, it's not just the cam sensor. The truck now starts and runs but it needs to be rebuilt. Two of the pistons are toasted. #5 & #7 pistons need jesus. Thankfully all I needed it to do is turn over for now. Later I will address the piston issue. Not sure whats happening there but it seems to me like a piston ring issue. This is what the gentleman at the shop thought as well. It's going to be a bitch getting in there but it can be done. If any of the guys from FCDP are on here I want to thank them immensely for their diagnosis.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts