Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Diesel Man
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I made this baby for my 96 Bronco over the summer. I started out with 1/4'' steel plate, but ran out of that after I made the front square and bottom angled back square and then had to switch to 3/8'' plate. So it is pretty hefty. I almost could not lift it when it was done, so I say it is around the 200-250lb range. I forgot to take pictures of the inside of it when I was making it, but there are plenty of support gussets and the brackets to bolt on to the frame are made out of 1/4'' steel square tubing. Also I welded 1/2'' thick 2'' angle on to the front of frame after cutting off the wimpy original bumper brackets, scoffing at them and tossing them in my scrap bin.

Used RustBullet - Black Shell as the only coat and holy crap is that stuff nice. Brushed it on and almost all of the brush marks leveled out on their own. Also the stuff is tough as nails and has great gloss finish. As you will see in my next post here the paint can take a lot.

Next post will be of the guy who pulled out in front of me on the highway and slammed on his brakes!

Attachments

·
Diesel Man
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here you can see just how tough this bumper is... as this guys car got annihilated and my bumper only lost a little bit of paint.

Was pretty upset though when this happened, because the guys trunk door came up over the bumper and took out my parking light, broke the headlight header and grill, and also somehow managed to bend the passenger fender. Oh and somehow the shaft on my gearbox went flying down through the gearbox and wiped it out, so I couldn't even drive after this.

Other than that the bumper did not budge an inch and only had the paint chipped off in a few places.

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
This is sweet, nice work. I'm working on something similar for my rear bumper

·
"Slap hands slap hands"
1,488 Posts
Sweet $hitza hope those ppl are alright. Nice bumper I like it. How did it affect your MPG if at all? Reminds me of mad max beyond Thunderdome LOL. How much total did it cost you to make and man hours if you had to guess?

·
Diesel Man
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet $hitza hope those ppl are alright. Nice bumper I like it. How did it affect your MPG if at all? Reminds me of mad max beyond Thunderdome LOL. How much total did it cost you to make and man hours if you had to guess?
The guy driving was perfectly fine, if he had passengers in the back they might have been busted up a bit.

Hardly affected mpg... front and rear bumper took off about .2 mpgs. Its got a diesel powerstroke in it so it's meant for heavy loads.

I cut the steel out of the floor of an old tractor trailer box we had at work... so free and It took me about 28-30 hours from start to finish, if you don't count the time it took to get the steel out of the trailer.

·
Diesel Man
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jesus man, how much body lift do you have on that thing?
Its about 4 1/2'' I used 4 inch square tubing to raise the back and i welded 1/2'' plates on the bottom of that so I had some meat to put threads in. Then I just made large pucks for rest of the lift out of 4'' round delrin plastic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts