Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time it rains I start smelling something like mildew. I searched and located the general area. The underneath of my passenger floorboard carpet is soaked and so is the edges of the carpet underneath the edge panels (not sure what they are called). I have read where the cab vents or rear windows leak. How would I be able to tell if it is that? Not sure where I need to start searching from here.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found the edge of the carpet wet all down the passenger side. Rear window, rear cab vent?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I can't help. It doesn't rain enough here to get a leak and gets so hot it would dry before you can find it. That really sucks. Hope you find it before the rust starts.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think this is where the water is coming in

The water around the door sills

Where the water is running down the inside rear corner

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just poured water on that crack under the rear window and I could see water rolling down the inside. The previous owner ran a 4wheeler into the cab and possibly made the small crack then, but he kept in the garage all the time so he might have never known. I wouldnt think that small of a crack would do it, but I could tell if it rains steady it would fill up fast.

Now I need to know what to use to fill the small crack. Clear exterior use silicone?

·
super tuner
164 Posts
It's funny how previous owners don't notice water leaks. My truck had a cracked windshield in the top drivers side corner and it wasn't visible... every time it rained my glove-box would fill up like a fish tank and i would lose anything i had in there at the time. This doesnt help you i know, just sharing a similar situation but as for a solution i would just apply some clear exterior use silicone like you said. That would seem like the most correct product for the application. Bondo is specifically for filling body imperfections, but silicone would be much easier to work with i think. Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
they make a seam sealer for sealing the joints in floor pans and trunks, etc. Can't remember the exact name though. Go to an automotive paint store and they should heve it. I used it when restoring muscle cars & building hot rods. It works really well. Good luck

Might try Eastwood's site they make and sell everything for restorations.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used some loctite clear sealant silicone. I will let it cure for 48 hours like it said and then I will pour water on it again and see if I fixed it. Got the sealant under the window seal and past the bottom of the crack. Got it all smoothed out and the best looking I could, hopefully very functional. Crossing my fingers.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Hope it works. Might save you some rust later on.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have a leak in the same area but have not confirmed whether it is the rear cab vents in the back wall or those seams you found leaking.

Let us know if it worked and please showw a photo of the repair area.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will have to get a photo of the area. Just a small amoutn of clear silicone sealant. Poured water all around it last night and didn't leak. I will have to really see next time it rains. I just picked up the edge of the window seal and put silicone under it and then down the crack.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can see where I siliconed. Just enough to get the job done. You can't even see unless you are looking.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Is that part of the cab double panel? If so I would pull the bed unless you can reach it and do the outside also.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I siliconed the outside, couldnt get to the inside part.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
ok I said that ass backwards didn't I? Anyhow let us know if that was the problem

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I sure hope that was problem. I put the water hose on the roof and let it run down and then directly on the spot. Didn't see any water come in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts