Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
RightWingNut
392 Posts
"The United States Senate has the responsibility to approve or disapprove of my nominees. But if, in the interest of scoring political points, Republicans in the Senate refuse to exercise that responsibility, I must act in the interest of the American people and exercise my authority to fill these positions on an interim basis," he said in a written statement.

All 41 Senate Republicans wrote Obama this week urging him not to use a recess appointment for Becker, a former top lawyer with Service Employees International Union and the AFL-CIO, whose nomination was rejected by the Senate last month, 52-43.

Tbar

·
Gandy Dancer
5,972 Posts
The rest of the story that Faux News conveniently forgot. ;)

Recess Appointments {click here)

Both Republican and Democratic presidents have made recess appointments, which circumvents the Senate's authority to confirm nominees, when they could not overcome delays. President George W. Bush made more than 170 such appointments in his two-term presidency. President Bill Clinton made nearly 140.

Obama had been on record as warning of recess appointments if the Senate didn't act. He followed through at the end of a week in which his political standing was significantly bolstered by the party-line passage of a historic health care bill, a student loan overhaul and a hard-fought nuclear arms treaty with Russia.

·
Registered
29 Posts
:whs:

·
No Mo 6.0
77 Posts
With a vote of 52-43 it appears there is bi-partisan opposition to this nominee or did some of those nasty Republicans bet to vote twice to hold up this appointment?

November can't get here soon enough.

·
Gandy Dancer
5,972 Posts
I guess it just goes to show that some Dem's are willing to be bi-partisan.

Unlike the Repub's who walk lock-step...............regardless of the issue. :shrug:

Which, by the way..............is the definition of partisan.

PS. How many of Bush's nominees also had Repub opposition?

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
seems to me that NO president should be able to do this- why bother on a senate vote then-it's merely just for show.

·
Yeah, it's like that
2,419 Posts
I guess it just goes to show that some Dem's are willing to be bi-partisan.

Unlike the Repub's who walk lock-step...............regardless of the issue. :shrug:

Which, by the way..............is the definition of partisan.

PS. How many of Bush's nominees also had Repub opposition?

So what about the votes that the republicans did vote for? How come you can pick out one or two that all the republicans did all vote no against, but how about appointments that did get some republican support, like Sotomayor? How many of Bush's appointments supported some far right wing group or something along the lines of the KKK? How many of Obama's appointments are far left to the supporting of Mao or Che? Does that come into play at all in your book? If Bush would have tried appointing someone that say was a Hitler supporter or Brian A. Scates the first elected president of the KKK, would have the Democrats opposed those people? God I hope so. How about the Democrats that voted no against Healthcare or the appointments that all the republicans voted no against and some of the democrats? How come the only time you see partisan politics by all the republicans voting no, but you don't see bi-partisanship when it is all the republicans voting no with some of the dem's voting no as well? That isn't a bipartisan no? At what point do you look at this administration and say it is an extreme far left administration. Show me something that Obama has done that is even remotely close to center? I thought he was going to bring the country together and the races together? To me it looks like he has everyone playing the race card and if you don't agree with him your racist. To me it looks like he is dividing the country more so than any president in the last close to 100 years.

·
No Mo 6.0
77 Posts
Let me get this straight, when a couple of Republicans voted for the stimulus bill it was a bi-partisan success but when a couple of Democrats agree with the Republicans on a far left nomination it Is partisan. Sounds like someone is trying to have their cake and eat it too.

On another note how many of Bush’s nominees did Senator Obama vote for and how many did he personally hold up?

·
--------
551 Posts
The rest of the story that Faux News conveniently forgot. ;)

Recess Appointments {click here)
In your blind hatred of Fox News you refused to read the damn story.

From the Fox article: "Obama noted that former President George W. Bush made 15 recess appointments by this point in his presidency..."

On a side note...when this story was aired on Fox News they also disclosed that Presidents in the past have made appointments during recess.

And BTW, the story is not about making recess appointments. All Presidents have the right to do so. It's about making a recess appointment of someone even after being rejected by the Senate. But you avoid this point because it doesn't fit your agenda of bashing Fox News & Republicans.

Apparently you didn't read your own linked article either because it doesn't support your belief that the Republicans are strictly partisan. Here's a quote from your article; "The other pro-union lawyer Obama named to the board, Mark Pearce, has not faced opposition from Republicans." So obviously the Republicans only block appointees when they don't approve of them. Imagine that...standing on principal.

Take off your blinders Gandy. You constantly rail against those who only see one side of a story. You need to heed your own criticisms. Otherwise, you'll just be a punk with an axe to grind. Whoops...too late.

·
Gandy Dancer
5,972 Posts
And BTW, the story is not about making recess appointments. All Presidents have the right to do so. It's about making a recess appointment of someone even after being rejected by the Senate. But you avoid this point because it doesn't fit your agenda of bashing Fox News & Republicans.
So tell me why 'recess appointments' have to be made in the first place.

Yep, because typically there is opposition and they can't get confirmed during session. :rolleyes:

Take off your blinders Gandy. You constantly rail against those who only see one side of a story. You need to heed your own criticisms. Otherwise, you'll just be a punk with an axe to grind. Whoops...too late.
Well, I guess "punks with an axe to grind" fits a lot of people. ;)

Especially yourself...................... to a T. :pointlaugh:

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
So tell me why 'recess appointments' have to be made in the first place.

Yep, because typically there is opposition and they can't get confirmed during session. :rolleyes:

Well, I guess "punks with an axe to grind" fits a lot of people. ;)

Especially yourself...................... to a T. :pointlaugh:
In this case the recess appt was bull####. The senate did not approve it. So Dumbama had to throw a tantrum and get his way

·
Gandy Dancer
5,972 Posts
So Dumbama had to throw a tantrum and get his way
Since 'recess appointments' are typically made because someone is blocking the nomination to start with, "throwing a tantrum to get their way"...................can be said for every POTUS who has used it.

Consequently, it's obvious the outrage is against the Prez...................not the process. :shrug:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts