Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
hello, as the title says, I'm new here and don't know $&&$ lol. I don't currently own a powerstroke, or any diesel :frown: but I am hoping to buy one before I start college this fall. I've been around Ford my whole life, and that will never change :smile: i currently own and drive a 1995 F-150, 302, auto, rwd with 3.31 open diff rear axle, and I'm hoping to find a decently priced 94.5-2002 F-250 or F-350 7.3 4x4 in decent, not so rusted shape( hard to find in northern BC). I'm not too sure if i should post this in this thread but, I'm moving out to the country in a few weeks, and I'm needing a truck that can move a heavy load if needed, survive deer attacks, and get me into the bush to have fun or go hunting, while still being easy on the pocket of a college student. Which would be better for those, a 94.5-97 F-250/350 or a 97-02 F-250/350? Have a good night everyone, and thanks for any info and help I may need in the future!

·
Administrator
8,173 Posts
Personally I think you should get a gasser. Much cheaper to work on and maintain. A oil change is $100 on a 7.3. And these trucks will nickel and dime you to death. Save up your money, your going to need it. Then graduate and then buy one.

Hope this helps. If your dead set on one we can help you out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've thought about getting a gasser, but if im hauling a few round bales and a bed full of produce or feed for family id have issues going up the switchbacks. id also like not losing half of my efficiency when i have a trailer behind me( went through half a tank in three hours on the highway with an empty 12 foot flatbed behind my f150)

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you're set on the powerstroke, look for an older one/OBS/94-97 as it should be easier on the wallet. Since you need to climb, get a 4WD F350. I would recommend the crew cab as it offers extra space should you ever need it.

·
Administrator
8,173 Posts
You can't go wrong with any truck from 94.5-03. The obs trucks are a little cheaper. The 99-03 trucks are nicer in the inside and have an intercooler and bigger injectors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're set on the powerstroke, look for an older one/OBS/94-97 as it should be easier on the wallet. Since you need to climb, get a 4WD F350. I would recommend the crew cab as it offers extra space should you ever need it.
yeah i was thinking either an extended cab long bed or a crew cab short bed if i can find one for a decent price just to not have a pretty long wheelbase. why are the 94.5-97s usually easier on the wallet?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Welcome the forums, I guess they are almost the same in fuel mileage depending on its engine condition and driving style.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts