Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if anyone new exactly what makes the tinted tailights illegal? i thought just the spray painted ones were illegal but i got pulled over yesterday for my recon smoked tailights which are definently brighter than my stock ones. i wasnt given a ticket just told to replace them.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
do they have a DOT certification printed on them? If not tehcnically you don't have a leg to stand on depending on your state laws.

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
Some cops see smoked lights and automatically assume they are obscuring the light output, and rightfully so. But to automatically issue a ticket without checking to see if the light output is less should not be allowed.

Depending on the rules in your area, you may be SOL. But, if you can prove to the judge that your smoked lenses do not affect the light output (put stock on one side and cmoked on the other and take a picture from the rear of the truck about 50 ft back), then you might be able to get it thrown out.

·
6.0 money pit
3,107 Posts
Some cops see smoked lights and automatically assume they are obscuring the light output, and rightfully so. But to automatically issue a ticket without checking to see if the light output is less should not be allowed.

Depending on the rules in your area, you may be SOL. But, if you can prove to the judge that your smoked lenses do not affect the light output (put stock on one side and cmoked on the other and take a picture from the rear of the truck about 50 ft back), then you might be able to get it thrown out.
also make sure your lights are on, not your brakes lights. but your running lights. this enables them to see if the "smoking" has obscured the visibility of the lighting. as cowboy dan said above, 50ft is where you will want to be. i have heard people taking pictures of the tape line rolled out in the picture as well to prove the 50ft mark.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
what state are you in.. those taillights are SAE and DOT approved... but... some states dont care... i got pulled over with min here in cali and even after i said they were approved the CHP officer said he didnt care they were tinted...

now....

the lens isnt tinted just the inner housing which i tried to explain to him but he said it didnt have a red reflector which it does its just not super red.. and thats what he said... he said the red reflector was not red enough

so i guess if you wanted to fight it you could... but like in my case it was easier to just pay the fine and never go near that section of highway again

-Raul

·
Well Hung Member
635 Posts
spray tint has effects on the reflectivity of the tailight, as for him saying your recon's are illegal, tell em to prove it.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Ya'll know what Eric Clapton said about the law and yeah they won.....I'd just move on about my way and not say a word it's obvious that officer had a stick up his azz that day prob from his ole lady

·
Registered
276 Posts
i was wondering if anyone new exactly what makes the tinted tailights illegal? i thought just the spray painted ones were illegal but i got pulled over yesterday for my recon smoked tailights which are definently brighter than my stock ones. i wasnt given a ticket just told to replace them.
Colton, who pulled you over CHP, PD, or Sheriff? Because I've gotten pulled over for smoke by both CHP and Napa PD and gotten out of tickets with bullchit excuses. I still drive like a dik and haven't gotten pulled over again. I wouldn't worry about it especially since he didn't give you a ticket.

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
I drove around with a cheap set of Ebay smoked lights on my last truck (deep tint) and never had a word said to me, I have recons now, and still nothing said. I have looked at my recons and if they are tinted its not much because you can see the reflector in the light, if you get a ticket, just fight it, im sure its an easy one to get out of. Especially if its got a dot marking on the light.

I like the 50 foot picture of them, wont show the reflector but dont know why that should matter anyway.

Good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ya they they are definently a lot brighter. and ya im in california too. it was one of our city cops thouh not chp

·
Attention Whore
5,183 Posts
Tell him to go ticket every new Chevy Trailblazer on the road...they have stock tinted tails darker than the Recons. Hell...my '88' T-Bird had factory tinted tails.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
3,067 Posts
I drove around with a cheap set of Ebay smoked lights on my last truck (deep tint) and never had a word said to me, I have recons now, and still nothing said. I have looked at my recons and if they are tinted its not much because you can see the reflector in the light, if you get a ticket, just fight it, im sure its an easy one to get out of. Especially if its got a dot marking on the light.

I like the 50 foot picture of them, wont show the reflector but dont know why that should matter anyway.

Good luck
Biggest difference in this story is you live in WY:D, he's in CA:pullover:.
Most people are left to do as they want as long as you aren't intruding on others in WY.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Have you gone through inspection with them? If so the officer does not have a leg to stand on.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
How many vehicles in Wyo have all their lights anyway? J/K

Elk, deer, antelope, sheep usually keep at least 1 or 2 knocked out.

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
:hehe: whats wrong with wyo!!! just sayin though highway patrol are window tint nazzi's and license plate nazzi's too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts