Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if you have seen my post about getting arrested. I have found a bunch of changes to the ILL vehicle codes that will affect us truck owners in ILL.

1st off they have changed the license plate requirements here. Trucks need to be plated to cover the door sticker GVWR. This means a D plate is required on all 3/4 or 1 ton truckes licensed in this state. Failure to do so is an open invitation to some seriously expensive tickets. Incorrect plates can net you a overweight ticket of up to $1800 and Class C misdemeanor ticket for no safety sticker. I also found out a B plate or a passenger plate on a Excursion or suburban is illegal. Even though these are considered passenger vehicles they are required to follow the plate laws for the pickups.

2nd new law which seems to be a county or city thing is the trailer ball. I have heard from multiple people from different areas in and around Cook county who have gotten tickets for driving around with thier reciever in the hitch. I am trying to get a exact code but so far have not found it. What i have been told is if the insert sticks out more than 4" it is illegal. If it is a non removable style it has to have a RED cover attached to it.

3rd is the lift laws in IL have gotten stricter. If you are over the limit on frame or bumper height it is now a class C misdemeanor in IL. This ticket will get your truck impounded at the traffic stop. The heights laws for trucks over 7500# GVWR are
28" front bumper
30" rear bumper
28" to the frame in between the tires
ILL state police are cracking down on this and i have heard of 2 other people besides myself that have gotten ticketed since July 1st on I90 between Huntly and Rockford.

·
Was PSD0389
2,601 Posts
Wow those are pretty dam strict. Im not sure how all those affect me cause I live in northern, il. But I have my truck registered at our house in wisconsin. I know I dont have to worry about the class for illinois then. Would illinois lift laws apply for my truck?

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
Matt,
If you look at Tom's post in NEVRNF's other thread, the law actually says it applies to 'any vehicle on a public road', which seems to indicate they don't care where it is plated. You'd probably have to go to court to fight it, because you know the cops will right the ticket and/or impound the truck if they even think they have a ghost's chance of getting away with it. That is just the nature of that whole bloody state.

·
143 Posts
Ill is about a wacky as CA with the laws...

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got some more info today. ILL is having a state wide crackdown on lifted trucks. This started August 1 and will run untill who knows when. From what i have learned it is due to some serious accidents since the 1st of the year involving lifted trucks.
As far as where you are licensed. It does not matter. If you travel on the roads here they can ticket you.

Matt, Is your drivers license IL or Wisc? If it is IL and the truck is not registered here you are in violation of the law and can be charged for not having your truck registered at your current address.

·
Was PSD0389
2,601 Posts
Got some more info today. ILL is having a state wide crackdown on lifted trucks. This started August 1 and will run untill who knows when. From what i have learned it is due to some serious accidents since the 1st of the year involving lifted trucks.
As far as where you are licensed. It does not matter. If you travel on the roads here they can ticket you.

Matt, Is your drivers license IL or Wisc? If it is IL and the truck is not registered here you are in violation of the law and can be charged for not having your truck registered at your current address.
Well good thing Im moving to Ohio in two weeks then. My license is in Il. Ive been pulled over a couple of times in Il. and WI. and they have never given me any trouble for having my truck registered at our house up north and having my license be in Il. I know a couple others that do that as well. I didnt know it was against the law

·
ARMY bound
6,990 Posts
Most of my stuff is registered in IL and I've pulled over a few times in AZ with an AZ license with no problems. I just tell them I live in both states.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Tony, did you post this on the other forums?
I will have to spread the word

1 - 10 of 10 Posts