Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I jumped in my 95 f350 and turned the key to start and I felt something break through the ignition key.

Truck started just fine but then the key switch went completely dead missing the normal resistance as it turned from off to start. The detent for the off position is still clearly felt but the key no longer controls the ignition. I was able to turn the key to off and remove it while the truck continued to run like it was in the on position.

I ended up disconnecting the positive battery cables to shut the truck off after I returned home.

Just pulled the key cylinder out and there was a small gray plastic tab that was broken off laying in the bottom of the key cylinder hole.

Questions are:
What could be the cause of this?

What should I look at to repair it?

Do the 92-97 have the transfer bar from the key to the switch that breaks like the 80-91 trucks?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The 3rd picture shows the broken plastic tab on my jeans

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,349 Posts
looks like your key cylinder broke.
there should be a tab sticking out the back of the cylinder to engage and turn the upper rack that in turn will pull the rod going down to the switch to work the ignition.

to test if it is the cylinder or ignition circuit, stick a small flathead screwdriver in the slot inside the column where the key cylinder goes and see if you can go through all the key positions.
acc, off, run, and start.
if it all works fine with the screwdriver, than you simply need a new key cylinder.

and the 92-97 trucks still use an ignition actuator, but it is different than the 91 and older trucks and does not break nearly as often as the 91 and older trucks actuator does.

·
don't play well w others
4,003 Posts
Make sure to put the truck in "run" position before you put the new key cylinder in

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last night I did some more testing to figure out what the problem is and have more questions as a result.

Was able to turn the pinion gear with a screwdriver without much resistance. Then I removed the silver metal and green plastic retainers that located and positioned the pinion gear. Didn’t see any signs of a broken tab on either one. Also moved the actuator rod with the screwdriver and there was zero resistance, even when going all the way forward for starting position.

1. My truck is an automatic. How do I remove the top half of the steering column cover?

2. What did that gray plastic tab break off from? If it’s from the actuator rod, could that be the cause of the problem?

3. Are the described events above still consistent with needing a new key cylinder?

4. Does anyone have a diagram of these parts and how they interface?
I would prefer not the whole steering column.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I did some more testing after unbolting the ignition switch box under the column and confirmed that the actuator rod wasn’t moving the switch on the ignition box.

Has anyone replaced one of these before?

·
Administrator
8,349 Posts
not on the 92-97. the part is readily available and only costs around $15, but you have to take the column apart to replace it.
a lot of guys on the other sites say it is easier to just replace the column with a good one from a junkyard and put your key cylinder in , but then you do not know what condition the junkyard column is in

1 - 7 of 7 Posts